Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Fettuccine recipe is an easy way to enjoy the spring vegetable as part of a vegetarian main course pasta dish. Roasting the asparagus and tossing it with cheese and pasta opens up the wine pairing options.
We’ve been on a roasted asparagus kick lately, making the most of this spring vegetable. I have enjoyed roasted asparagus and mushrooms as a side dish, and thought that combination would also be good tossed with pasta. This Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Fettuccine is the tasty result.
This recipe is lighter than other fettuccine dishes that rely on cream. Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Fettuccine just uses cheese, olive oil and a bit of lemon juice, in addition to the roasted veggies.
You can cook the fettuccine as the asparagus and mushrooms roast, so this all comes together in just over 30 minutes. The length of roasting time depends on the thickness of the asparagus.
Pairings for Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Fettuccine
As noted in our red wine with asparagus post, roasting asparagus turns a veggie that can be tricky to pair with wine into a good companion for red wine. You could enjoy a range of medium bodied red wines with this dish, such as a Pinot Noir or a Cotes du Rhone. I made this Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Fettuccine a few times before posting it, so got to try several pairings. The Sul Portuguese red wine blend ($10, 13.5% ABV) worked pretty well.
This dish is versatile in terms of wine pairing options, as I most recently paired it with a 2016 Mille Cristaletto Pinot Grigio ($22, 12.3 ABV) from Venezia, Italy. This is a dry white wine with notes of lemon and hazelnut. I’d say the white wine option worked pretty well with the dish, but I have a slight preference for red wine with the roasted asparagus and mushroom fettuccine.Print
Roasted Asparagus and Mushroom Fettuccine
Roasted asparagus and mushrooms tossed with fettuccine, cheese and lemon juice for a satisfying pasta dish.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 8 ozs mushrooms, sliced
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried tarragon
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 ozs fettuccine noodles
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese plus extra for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Prep the asparagus: remove the coarse woody stock, typically about the bottom half of the asparagus spear. Chop the remaining tip portions into 2 inch pieces. Add to a roasting pan.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, then toss the mushrooms and asparagus with 2 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the garlic powder, tarragon, salt and pepper to the asparagus mushrooms mixture. Stir to combine.
- Roasted the asparagus and mushrooms for 20 to 25 minutes, until the asparagus is tender and begins to brown.
- Meanwhile, boil a pot of water for the fettuccine. Cook according to package instructions, timing it so that the asparagus is done a bit before the pasta.
- Drain the fettuccine. Toss the pasta with the asparagus mushroom mixture and the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil. Stir in the cheese and lemon juice, and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve and enjoy!