Cilantro Pesto Pork Chops make a nice addition to your weeknight dinner rotation. From start to finish, this can be on the table in under thirty minutes–26 minutes actually, based on our timing. A zesty pesto sauce adds good flavor the humble pork chop, and the easy spice blend featured in our Heaven Sent Grilled Pork Chops seals in the juice.
The cilantro pesto pork chops are good to make if you have extra cilantro on hand. I often buy a bunch of cilantro and use just a handful for one recipe, as I did when making these Guacamole Cheeseburgers. Pesto is a great way to put extra herbs to use–think beyond basil for pesto inspiration!
This is another recipe that calls for a cast iron skillet that can start on the stove top, and finish in the oven. If you need one, here’s an Amazon affiliate link to the Lodge cast iron skillet brand I use several times a week.
The basic approach here it to quickly make the rub and spread it on the pork chops. Then whip up the cilantro pesto, and set aside. Pan sear the pork chops on the stove top, then roast for about 14 minutes, give or take a couple minutes based on your oven and the thickness of the pork. You don’t want to overcook pork chops! They should be nice and juicy, mostly white meat with a touch of pink is OK.
Plate those pork chops, and top with some cilantro pesto! As you can see in the pictures, we served this most recently with simple couscous and peas on the side. These cilantro pesto pork chops are also great with Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter. However you choose to serve the chops, enjoy!
- 3 pork chops, about 1 inch thick
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- pinch red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Make a rub for the pork chops by combining the cumin, salt, and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Spread the rub over both sides of the pork chops. Set aside for while you make the pesto.
- Place the garlic cloves in a food processor. Whir to mince the garlic.
- Add the cilantro, lime juice, red pepper flakes and olive oil to the food processor. Puree to combine. Set the cilantro pesto aside while you cook the pork.
- Coat an oven proof skillet with oil spray, and place on the stovetop, medium high heat.
- When the skillet is hot, add the pork chops, and sear for 1 minute. Flip the pork chops to the other side, sear for another minute.
- Move the pork to the oven after searing on both sides. Roast at 400 degrees for approximately 14 minutes. Cooking times vary based on oven and thickness of the meat. Take care not to overcook the pork.
- Remove the skillet from the oven, and place the chops on a platter to rest. After a couple minutes of resting, plate the chops, topped with a generous dollop of cilantro pesto. Enjoy!
Tools to use: As mentioned earlier, a cast iron skillet is a huge help making this cilantro pesto pork chops recipe. need a cast iron skillet for your kitchen? Here’s the Amazon link again. With the affiliate links, I make a small commission should you choose to make a purchase using the link. As always, I only recommend products I use and enjoy.