Dig into this Hearty Collard Green and Sausage Soup recipe for a healthy and comforting meal on a cold evening. Collard greens, chicken sausage, turkey bacon and beans provide a big bowlful of substance and flavor.
Late February saw a brief stretch of 60 degree weather in Boston. But then cold wintry winds reminded us that it is still soup season here! A perfect time to dish up some Hearty Collard Green and Sausage Soup.
My Best Portuguese Kale Soup recipe is one of the most popular in our house and on Cooking Chat. I had that combination of greens, beans and sausage in mind when cooking up this Hearty Collard Green and Sausage Soup.
I was going for a soup that would be substantial but also very healthy. Collard greens are a nutrient rich powerhouse and a good place to start. I used chicken sausage and turkey bacon to add flavor and protein, with a moderate addition of fat and calories. Beans and whole wheat elbow macaroni add further to the substance of the dish and contribute to the nutritional value.
Wine Pairing for Hearty Collard Green and Sausage Soup
I opened the 2014 Purisma Monastrell ($14, 14% ABV) to go with our Hearty Collard Green and Sausage Soup. This Spanish red wine (known as Mourvedre elsewhere) has good blackberry fruit, and matched the substance of the soup pretty well. It was perhaps just a tad heavy on the tannins for this pairing. I suspect a Portuguese red blend might work even better here.
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium chicken sausages
- 2 pieces turkey bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic, minced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup elbow macaroni
- Bunch of collards greens, chopped
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Pinch salt & red pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a soup pot. Add the sausages and the turkey bacon to brown, turning occasionally. Remove the sausage when browned, and the bacon when cooked, which will take 5 to 10 minutes. Set the sausage and bacon aside to cool.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the pot on medium heat. Add the onions, cook for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for a few more minutes. Add the garlic to the pot and stir.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and raise heat to bring to a boil. Add the macaroni, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer the broth and macaroni for about 10 minutes, then add the collard greens along with a pinch of salt and red pepper. Stir to combine.
- As the greens simmer, slice the sausage in half lengthwise, then cut half circles about ½ inch thick. Break the bacon into bits.
- After the greens have been cooking for about 10 minutes, stir in the sausage and beans. Cook for 5 minutes or so, until the macaroni is cooked to your liking and the greens are tender.
- Scoop out servings of soup, and top with a bit of the bacon. Enjoy!