Grilled Tilapia with Tomatoes and Olives
Tilapia is a fish that is easy to grill. We top our grilled tilapia with a tasty combination of tomatoes, olives and basil.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 2 servings
- Category: main
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: Greek
- 2 tilapia filets, about 4 ozs each
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup tomatoes, diced
- 1 tbsp basil, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp fresh lemon juice
- 3 olives, sliced
- Preheat a grill to medium high.
- Prepare the grilled tilapia topping: combine the tomatoes, basil, lemon juice, olives and half of the olive oil (1/2 tablespoon) in a bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the remaining half tablespoon olive oil and pinch of salt in a large bowl.
- Rinse and pat dry the tilapia filets. Add the tilapia to the bowl with olive oil, and gently turn over the filets to coat with the oil. Let the fish sit for about 5 minutes.
- Spray the grill generously with cooking oil. Take a tilapia fillet out of the bowl, gently shake off the excess olive oil and place the fillet on the grill. Repeat for the other fillet.
- Grill for 3 minutes on one side, then carefully flip the fillets to grill for 3 to 4 minutes on the other side. Use a grill spatula to remove the tilapia from the grill to a platter. The fish should be just cooked through to a white color.
- Serve the grilled tilapia topped with the tomato basil mixture. Enjoy!
- The tilapia can have a tendency to stick on the grill if you don’t have enough oil on the grill. Take care when getting the spatula under the tilapia when turning it over. If a bit of the fish sticks to the grill, that is OK. Move the fish to a clean part of the grill, and scrape the bits that stuck to grill off later.
Keywords: grilled tilapia, Greek food, grilled fish