Fall flavor starts with butternut squash for me. It’s something I won’t eat in the spring or summer, but when the beach days are over and school is back in session, I start working butternut into our cooking regularly here. So I naturally figured I’d make something with butternut squash for today’s Fall Flavors Sunday Supper.
My Sunday Supper recipes last fall featured butternut squash in a soup and a risotto, so what to do this time? Well, our 10 year old had mentioned we hadn’t had bacon in awhile. A food blogger that includes meat in his recipes needs to be bringing bacon to the table from time to time, so I thought we could do something that included bacon along with butternut squash. The result was this Pasta with Creamy Butternut and Bacon recipe. We had this as a main course, but it also can make a nice side for roasted chicken or turkey.
The butternut squash gets boiled, the cooked up with some garlic and chicken stock. My original plan was to put the squash mixture into the food processor at the end to reach the desired creamy consistency, but the way the squash broke apart when stirring it, that wasn’t necessary. By the time I stirred in the cream, I had my sauce made right in the skillet.
You can see from the photos that I tossed the creamy butternut with linguine. However, this sauce is pretty thick, so I’d say the pasta with creamy butternut would work better with a short shape like penne or ziti. My other pointer is to be sure to eat this right after you toss the pasta with the butternut sauce, as it starts to thicken pretty quickly.
To add another fall touch, I topped the pasta with creamy butternut with some toasted pumpkin seeds along with the bacon bits. One reader suggests you could add a bit more bacon than called for here. A nice crunch to go along with the creaminess!
Pasta with Creamy Butternut and Bacon
Pasta tossed with a creamy butternut squash sauce and topped with bacon for a flavorful fall meal.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Fusion
- 6 cups butternut squash, chopped (1 medium squash)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 slices bacon
- ½ tsp dried sage
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup coconut or dairy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 12 ozs pasta, preferably a short shape like ziti or penne
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted
- Boil a pot of water. Add the butternut squash, boil for 15 minutes or so, until the squash is tender.
- Drain the squash, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Start boiling water for pasta.
- Spray a skillet with oil, and heat it on medium. Add the bacon, and cook until crispy, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove the bacon from the skillet and place on a plate with a paper towel on top.
- Drain the excess bacon fat from the skillet, and wipe the skillet with a paper towel to get most of the bacon grease out but leaving a bit for flavor. When the bacon has cooled, crumble it into small pieces.
- Add a tablespoon of olive oil to the skillet, and heat on medium. Add the garlic, cook for a minutes.
- Add the cooked squash to the skillet along with the chicken broth and sage. Bring the broth to a simmer, stir occasionally with a sturdy spoon. As you stir, gradually break up the squash.
- Let the squash simmer for about 10 minutes, and it will gradually break up into a creamy sauce. When most of stock has been absorbed, gradually stir in the cream to finish the sauce.
- Start cooking the pasta according to package instructions after you add the squash to the skillet.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and toss immediately with the butternut sauce and the additional tablespoon olive oil. Stir in the cheese.
- Plate the pasta right after tossing with the sauce. Top the pasta with bacon bits and pumpkin seeds.
Check out A Guide to Apples plus Best Fall Recipes Ideas for #SundaySupper and this week’s recipe collection:
- Apple-Currant Dutch Baby Pancake by The Weekend Gourmet
- Apple Swirled Pumpkin Yeast Bread by What Smells So Good?
- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Bread by Party Food and Entertaining
- Giant Brown Sugar Cinnamon Pop Tart by Pies and Plots
- Sweet Potato Buttermilk Biscuits by Tara’s Multicultural Table
Appetizers and Sides
- Pumpkin Cornbread Muffins by Pancake Warriors
- Pumpkin Spice Roasted Sweet Potatoes by Love and Confections
- Roasted Veggie Tart by Books n’ Cooks
- Acorn Squash Stuffed with Roasted Veggies & Couscous by Momma’s Meals
- Butternut Squash Lentil Curry Soup by Food Done Light
- Curry Beef Pies by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Fantasy Rice by The Petit Gourmet
- King Prawns in Red Sauce – Mauritian Style Creole Sauce by Peachy Tales
- Pasta with Creamy Butternut & Bacon by Cooking Chat (you are here!)
- Pork Chops with Apple Dijon Sauce and Arugula Salad by Crazy Foodie Stunts
- Pork Chops with Glazed Apples and Vegetables by The Complete Savorist
- Quinoa and Sausage Stuffed Acorn Squash by Feeding Big and More
- Roasted Tomato Soup with Bacon/Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich by A Gouda Life
- Salt Roasted Salmon over Roasted Butternut & Yam Soup by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Sheet Pan Roasted Chicken, Delicata Squash and Olives by Foodie Tots
- Sweet Potato French Bean Lentil Salad by Food Lust People Love
- Sweet Potato Alfredo Sauce by Sew You Think You Can Cook
- Thai Curry Pumpkin Soup by Eating in Instead
- Whole Roasted Chicken with Vegetables by Life Tastes Good
Desserts and Cocktails
- Apfelkuchen by Curious Cuisiniere
- Applesauce Cake with Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Swirls by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Apple Gingersnap Refrigerator Dessert by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Autumn Bellini by An Appealing Plan
- Autumn Spice Cookies by Desserts Required
- Caramel Apple Napoleons by The Crumby Cupcake
- Caramel Apple Pie Bundles by The Freshman Cook
- Caramel Apple Streusel Muffins by The Redhead Baker
- Caramel Apple Swirl Cheesecake No-Churn Ice Cream by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Cheesecake Swirl Pumpkin Muffins by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Chestnut and Pear Cupcakes with Caramel Buttercream by Caroline’s Cooking
- Dark Chocolate-Espresso Pumpkin Tiramisu by Brunch with Joy
- Dutch Apple Pie by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Pumpkin Cheesecake with Butterscotch Drizzle by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Pumpkin Chocolate Bread Pudding with Salted Caramel Sauce by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Pumpkin Crisp by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting by Fantastical Sharing of Recipes
- Pumpkin Pecan Bundt Cake by Flour On My Face
- Pumpkin Spice Peanut Butter Cookies by Palatable Pastime
- Roasted Maple Pears by Amee’s Savory Dish
- Spiced Pear Cake by Simply Healthy Family
- Spiced Pumpkin Bread by Renee’s Kitchen Adventures
- Sweet Apple Skillet Cake by Nosh My Way
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.