I’ve been really getting into roasted broccoli this winter, so it was only a matter of time before I served up a roasted broccoli pasta recipe. Here you go! Roasted broccoli gets a bit of a nutty taste to it, which is further enhanced by a good Gouda or Gruyere cheese. A bit of sausage rounds out the tasty pasta dish.
This Pasta with Roasted Broccoli and Sausage recipe is pretty is for all the flavor it packs. Just get home from work and chop that broccoli, toss with garlic and olive oil. You can quickly do the rest of the prep while the broccoli roasts. Note the recipe calls for garlic powder, in the spirit of a quick and easy meal. You could certainly chop a couple of garlic cloves to toss with the broccoli instead.
I used a turkey sausage to keep this dish pretty healthy, but you can add the sausage of your choice. I’m partial to the Andouille flavor.
Pass some Parmesan at the table to top off the dish, and enjoy! I know this dish is going get into the regular weekday rotation at our host, I suspect you might do the same if you give it a try.
Wine Pairing: Serve a full bodied white wine with this roasted broccoli pasta dish. A Chardonnay or a White Côtes du Rhône should work nicely.
- 4 cups broccoli, chopped
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- salt to taste
- 2 medium andouille turkey sausage, or other sausage of your choice
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ½ yellow or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cups spinach (optional)
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup gouda or gruyere cheese, shredded
- 12 ozs elbow macaroni or other short pasta
- 1 tbsp parsley
- Parmesan cheese for serving at the table
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss the broccoli with 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder and a bit of salt to taste. Spread the broccoli out in a single layer in a medium roasting pan. Place in the oven to roast for about 20 minutes until the broccoli turns tender and begins to brown. Remove roasted broccoli from oven and set aside to add to the pasta.
- As the broccoli roasts, start to boil some water for pasta and heat a skillet on medium with some oil spray. Add the sausages to the skillet. Cook 5 to 10 minutes to brown the sausage, turning occasionally. Remove sausage from skillet and set aside on a plate. Slice the sausage into thin circles when it has cooled.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in the skillet after you have browned the sausage. Add the onions, and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add the bell pepper to the skillet, and cook for another 5 minutes. This is also a good time to cook the pasta according to package instructions.
- After the pepper has cooked for 5 minutes, add the sliced sausage back to the skillet along with the chicken broth, parsley and optional spinach. Stir to combine, then cover the skillet and cook another 5 minutes.
- When the pasta is cooked, drain it and toss with the onion and sausage mixture. Stir to combine then add the shredded cheese and roasted broccoli. Plate and serve, offering the parmesan cheese for an additional topping at the table.
Want some more roasted broccoli goodness? Try this Potato Leek Soup with Roasted Broccoli!