Various iterations of this Quick Tortellini with Spinach and Garlic recipe find their way to our table often when I find myself a bit short of time and/or energy, but still want something with the fresh, homemade flavor. You can vary the ingredients based on what you have available. You can add an onion, fresh herbs you have on hand, and other items that might add to the flavor of the Quick Tortellini with Spinach and Garlic.
The original post date goes back to 2008. We updated the post recently (in January 2016) after making the Quick Tortellini with Spinach and Garlic again and taking some new photos to share here. The original post didn’t have any photos! Now that’s some old school Cooking Chat blogging.
Wine Pairing for Tortellini with Spinach and Garlic
Quick Tortellini with Spinach and Garlic
Cheese tortellini tossed with a tasty and easy sauce made with spinach and sautéed garlic.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3 servings
- Category: Main
- Method: boil / sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
- 12 ozs cheese tortellini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 5 ozs baby spinach
- 1/3 cup white wine or vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp dried basil or other Italian herb
- parmesan cheese for passing at the table
- Begin boiling water for the tortellini.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet. Add the red bell pepper and garlic, sauté for a couple minutes.
- Stir the spinach into the skillet, then add the wine or chicken broth along with the basil. Add salt and pepper to taste, and simmer covered for about 5 minutes.
- After adding the spinach, add the tortellini to the boiling water and cook according to package instructions. Take care not to overcook.
- Drain the tortellini, and toss with the spinach and garlic sauce. Plate and serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese.
Keywords: tortellini, vegetarian pasta dishes, tortellini with spinach