Ziti with Sausage, Peppers and Onions
Ziti tossed with sausage, peppers and onions for a tasty and satisfying pasta meal.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 5 servings
- Category: main
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 Premio Italian Sausages, about 12 ozs total
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, chopped
- pinch of garlic powder
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 to 2 cups baby spinach (optional)
- 12 ozs ziti or other short pasta shape
- 1/3 cup Parmigiano cheese, plus additional for serving.
- Preheat a grill to medium high. Coat the grill with oil spray. Place the sausage on the grill, and grill for about 5 minutes per side, until the sausages are nicely browned. Remove sausage from grill, and set aside to cool. See notes for tips and options for preparing the sausage.
- As the sausages are on the grill, heat the olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion, and sauté until the onions softens and begins to brown, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Begin boiling water for pasta as the onion browns.
- Add the red bell pepper and the garlic powder, and sauté for another 5 minutes.
- Start cooking the pasta according to package instructions as the pepper and onions cook.
- Slice the grilled sausage, and add it to the pan along with the chicken broth and spinach, if using. Stir to combine. Cover and cook on medium low heat as the pasta finishes cooking.
- Drain the pasta. Toss immediately with the sausage, peppers and onion mixture. Stir in the cheese.
- Plate and serve, passing additional cheese at the table.
- We used 2 Premio Hot Italian Sausage and 2 Sweet Italian Sausage. We liked the combination but you can adjust based on your tastes.
- The Premio sausages are precooked, so the grilling simply adds flavor, and it also easier to slice the sausages after grilling. You could also brown the sausages in a skillet to create the same effect.
- If you are using a different kind of sausage, be sure to check to see if it is precooked or not. If it is not precooked, be sure to cook the sausage all the way through.
Keywords: ziti, sausages, wine pairing, pasta with sausage