Do you have a special bottle of wine lying around for the occasion to open it? Well, your occasion has arrived! Join us for Open That Bottle Night (OTBN). The 2015 version of OTBN is coming up on Saturday, February 28. We’d like to invite you to join the Wine Pairing Weekend (#winePW) group in a two part event. First, we’ll open a special bottle of wine for OTBN of Feb. 28, then we will share blog posts about the wine and food we paired with it on March 14.
If you’re new to #winePW, every month we focus on a different food and wine pairing theme. The event, held the 2nd Saturday of each month, includes sharing blog posts and a live Twitter chat at 11 a.m. Eastern Time. The very next one on the schedule is February 14, with the theme “It’s All About Romance” hosted by Culinary Camilla. I started this event back in June 2014; you can get the backstory in the original post introducing the idea, and check out the list of Wine Pairing Weekend events past and future here.
A bit more about OTBN. Dreamed up by Wall Street Journal Writers Dorothy Gaiter and John Brecher, the premise is that anyone with any interest in wine has at least one bottle that has long been languishing for that “special occasion” that never seems to arrive. Well, OTBN gives you permission to open it! OTBN 2015 is the 16th annual event; I’ve been participating for several years now. Here are some tips for OTBN from Dorothy & John.
OTBN can be a fun time to have a gathering of friends that enjoy wine. Each guest can bring a bottle to contribute, which can make for an interesting lineup to try! See for example the results of one such gathering we hosted in 2013.
Wine Pairing Weekend focuses on the interplay of food and wine. So for our OTBN discussion, we’ll be looking to here about the food you chose to serve with the special bottle(s) of wine.
How to join us for Open That Bottle Night:
- Send an email to tell me you’re in: Include your blog url, Twitter handle, link to your Pinterest profile, and any other social media detail. If you know your blog post title now, include that…but you can send me that a bit closer to the event, I’d like to get a sense of who’s participating and give some shoutouts and links as we go. The email is winepairingweekend AT gmail.com.
- Open a special bottle on Feb. 28 and serve it with food. I know, a tough one to add to your to-do list! Connect with others who are participating that night by using the #OTBN tag and #winePW on Twitter, Instagram and anywhere else you’d like.
- Send your post title to me by Tuesday, March 10 to be included in the preview post. I will do a preview post shortly after getting the titles, linking to your blogs. Your title should include “#winePW”. If you want to get involved after Tuesday June 10, just drop me an email letting me know you plan to post so I can add you to the link list.
- Publish your post between 12:01 a.m-8:00 a.m. EDT on Saturday, March 14.
- Include a link to the other #winePW participants in your post, and a description of what the event is about. I’ll provide the html code you can easily put in your initial post–which will link to people’s general blog url–then updated code for the permanent links to everyone’s #winePW posts.
- Get social! After the posts go live, please visit your fellow bloggers posts’ to comment and share on social media. We have a Facebook group for participating bloggers to connect and share, too.
- Sponsored posts OK if clearly disclosed. Please be sure to disclose if your post is sponsored or if you are describing wine or other products for which you have received a free sample.
I’ll sign-off for now and let you start considering which of those wine bottles with too much dust should get opened of February 28!