Butternut Squash and Quinoa Casserole
Butternut squash baked with quinoa, spinach and feta cheese for a hearty cold weather casserole dish that can serve as a substantial side or vegetarian main course.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Casserole
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- 5 cups butternut squash, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water until the water runs clear
- 2 cups of water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sage leaves, chopped
- 6 ozs vegetable or chicken broth — vegetable broth to make this a vegetarian recipe!
- 2 cups baby spinach
- ¾ cup feta cheese
- handful pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil a pot of water. Add the butternut squash, boil for 15 minutes or so, until the squash is tender.
- Drain the squash, and rinse with cold water. Set aside.
- Heat the water to boiling, stir in the quinoa. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer covered for 16 to 20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- As the quinoa cooks, heat the olive oil in a skillet on medium. Add the onion, sauté until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for another minutes.
- Add the cooked squash to the skillet along with the chicken broth and sage. Bring the broth to a simmer, stir occasionally with a sturdy spoon. As you stir, gradually break up the squash.
- Let the squash simmer for about 10 minutes, and it will gradually break up into a creamy consistency.
- Stir the spinach into the butternut mixture toward the end of its 10 minute cooking time. Remove the squash mixture from heat and cover while the quinoa finishes cooking.
- When the water in the quinoa has been absorbed after the 16 to 20 minute simmer time, remove cover and stir the quinoa with a fork.
- Combine the quinoa with the skillet of butternut squash mixture. Stir in the feta cheese.
- Scoop the butternut squash and quinoa mixture into a casserole dish. Sprinkle the top with pumpkin seeds.
- Cover the casserole dish, and bake for 10 minutes. Remove cover after 10 minutes, and bake uncovered for 5 more minutes. Remove from oven and serve.
Keywords: casserole, quinoa, butternut squash casserole