Arugula Steak Salad with Farro
Savory grilled steak served on a bed of peppery arugula with a flavorful dressing, plus farro grain for extra substance.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: American
For the farro:
- 1 cup farro, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
For the arugula salad:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- generous pinch of paprika
- 3 cups baby arugula leaves
- 1 tbsp feta cheese
- 1 tbsp toasted pumpkin seeds
For the steak:
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 lb sirloin steak (or other lean cut)
- Start cooking the farro: Bring the water to a boil, then add the farro grain. Simmer covered on medium low heat until the water has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Work on other steps as the farro cooks. When the farro is cooked, set it aside to cool a bit.
- Make the salad dressing: in a small bowl, combine the 2 tablespoons olive oil, balsamic vinegar, maple syrup and paprika.
- Prep the steak: Preheat grill to medium high. Take the steak out of the refrigerator. Make a rub for the steak by combining the garlic powder, salt and cinnamon in a small bowl. Pat the steak dry, then lay it on a large plate. Sprinkle half of the rub on one side of the steak, and rub into the meat. Turn the steak over and repeat the process. Let the steak sit with the rub at room temperature for at least 10 minutes as you work on other components of the dish.
- Prep the arugula: place the arugula in a large salad bowl. Add the feta cheese, and gently toss the greens with the dressing. Add one cup of the cooked farro to the arugula, and gently toss to combine. Top with pumpkin seeds.
- Grill the steak: Place the steak on the grill, and cook on direct heat for 6 minutes. Flip the steak over, and grill for another 6 minutes for medium rare. When the steak is ready, remove from the grill onto a large platter. Let the steak rest for a few minutes, then slice about 1/2 inch thick.
- Plate the salad: Divide the arugula salad onto your serving plate. Top each salad with 3 or 4 strips of the grilled steak. You are now ready to enjoy!
- You could substitute other grains such as quinoa, bulgur or brown rice for the farro.
- The recipe calls for sirloin steak, but other lean cuts such as flank steak would work too.
- You can also make this using leftover steak. Just skip the steps involving grilling the steak.
- I toss salad greens with my hands to keep the greens and good shape and evenly distribute the dressing. Start with about half the dressing, then add more as needed to fully coat but not overwhelm the greens.
- You may have a bit extra of the farro and/or steak that you can save for later use, or someone at the table might want more of one or both!
Keywords: main dish salads, arugula salad, salads with meat, steak salad