Hearty Collard Greens and Sausage Soup
Collard greens, chicken sausage, white beans and elbow macaroni form the base of this hearty and tasty soup.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 2 medium chicken sausages
- 2 pieces turkey bacon
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 garlic, minced
- 7 cups chicken broth
- ¾ cup elbow macaroni
- Bunch of collards greens, chopped
- 1 15 oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
- Pinch salt & red pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a soup pot. Add the sausages and the turkey bacon to brown, turning occasionally. Remove the sausage when browned, and the bacon when cooked, which will take 5 to 10 minutes. Set the sausage and bacon aside to cool.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the pot on medium heat. Add the onions, cook for about 5 minutes. Add the carrots and cook for a few more minutes. Add the garlic to the pot and stir.
- Pour the chicken broth into the pot and raise heat to bring to a boil. Add the macaroni, and reduce heat to simmer.
- Simmer the broth and macaroni for about 10 minutes, then add the collard greens along with a pinch of salt and red pepper. Stir to combine.
- As the greens simmer, slice the sausage in half lengthwise, then cut half circles about 1/2 inch thick. Break the bacon into bits.
- After the greens have been cooking for about 10 minutes, stir in the sausage and beans. Cook for 5 minutes or so, until the macaroni is cooked to your liking and the greens are tender.
- Scoop out servings of soup, and top with a bit of the bacon. Enjoy!
Keywords: collard greens soup, chicken sausage, hearty soups, collard greens and chicken sausage