Curried Acorn Squash Soup
Savory sweet roasted acorn squash combines with spices and ginger in this delicious Curried Acorn Squash Soup recipe. Serve as a starter for a holiday meal, or as a healthy midweek main course. Use vegetable stock for a vegetarian recipe
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 50 mins
- Total Time: 60 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: starter
- Method: stove top + roasting
- Cuisine: Indian
- Diet: Vegetarian
For the soup
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 medium acorn squash, cut in half and seeded
- 1 carrot or parsnip
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh ginger (about 1 inch ginger root)
- 4 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- minced cilantro for topping the soup (optional)
For the yogurt topping
- 6 ounces plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- Roast the squash. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. After cutting the acorn squash in half and scooping out the seeds, take 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and drizzle over the squash flesh. Place the squash flesh side facing down on a baking sheet. Bake for about 35 minutes, until the squash is soft. The skin will pierce easily with a fork when ready. Set the squash aside to cool.
- Start cooking the other ingredients: After the squash has been roasting for about 2o minutes, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add the onions, sauté for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften. Stir in the carrots, cook for a few minutes more, then stir in the garlic and ginger.
- Add the broth to the soup pot, stirring to combine. Bring the soup to a simmer, uncovered. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Scoop in the squash: When the acorn squash has cooled, and the soup has been simmering for about 15 minutes, scoop the acorn squash flesh out from the shell. Add the squash into the soup, stirring vigorously to combine it well. Add the curry powder and turmeric into the soup, stirring to combine. Simmer for about 15 more minutes.
- Make yogurt topping: As the acorn squash soup simmers, scoop the yogurt into a bowl. Stir in the garam masala and lime juice. Set aside to add as a topping to the finished soup.
- Purée the soup: After the squash has simmered for 15 minutes with the other soup ingredients, it is time to purée the soup. Use an immersion blender, if you have it, to purée the soup into a consistent creamy texture. Alternatively, you can pour the soup into a food processor or blender to puree in batches.
- Serve the soup by swirling in a dollop of the yogurt topping, and sprinkle some minced cilantro on top as a garnish, if you like. Enjoy!
- Use vegetable stock to make this recipe vegetarian
- You could try substituting other winter squash if you like.
- Don’t skip the fresh ginger! It adds lively flavor and good nutrition.
Keywords: creamy acorn squash soup, spicy acorn squash soup, acorn squash recipes