Broccoli Cheddar Casserole served with Hatfield Ham
A rich broccoli cheddar casserole makes a great side dish for a holiday ham from Hatfield.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: American
- 6 cups broccoli, chopped into bite sized pieces (2 large florets)
- 8 ozs elbow macaroni — I used whole wheat
- 1/2 cup low sodium cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Begin boiling water for the macaroni and cook according to package instructions.
- Put about an inch of water in a large pan and bring to a boil. Add the broccoli to the pan, using a steamer insert if you have one. Steam the broccoli for 5 minutes, and remove from heat and drain when done.
- Cook the pasta according to package instructions, taking care not to overcook. Drain the pasta, and stir in the cream of mushroom soup, followed by the broccoli. Stir in 3/4 cup of the cheddar cheese, the garlic powder and the milk. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir to incorporate the seasoning.
- Scoop the broccoli and macaroni mixture into a casserole dish. Top the casserole with the remaining 1/4 cup cheddar cheese, spreading it around to cover the entire casserole. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs around to cover the casserole. Spray a bit of oil spray over the breadcrumbs to help it brown.
- Bake the casserole covered for 25 minutes at 350. Remove the cover after 25 minutes and cook for another ten minutes uncovered.
- Remove the casserole from the oven, serve along with some delicious Hatfield ham and enjoy!
- The baking temperature was set to have the casserole cook at the same time as the ham. Some of the Hatfield hams call for heating at 325 degrees. To cook the casserole at this lower temperature, bake the casserole for an extra 5 minutes covered.
- Please note the recipe as given contains gluten. However, you could substitute a gluten free pasta to make it as a gluten free dish. The Hatfield pork products are gluten free.
Keywords: casseroles, broccoli casserole, ham side dish