Lamb Ragu Pasta
Ground lamb simmers with broth, garlic, herbs, mushrooms and more for a richly flavored pasta sauce. Finished with ricotta whipped with fresh basil.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 7 servings 1x
- Category: main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 5 crimini mushrooms, sliced (or button mushrooms)
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced fire roasted tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
- pinch of salt
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tsp miso (optional)
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 6 basil leaves, thinly sliced
- black pepper to taste
- 1 lb rigatoni or other short pasta
- Sauté onions: Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large, sturdy pot. Add the onions, and sauté about 5 minutes, until they begin to soften. Add the carrots, and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the lamb to the pot, using a heavy spoon to break it up and stir it in with the onions. Add the mushrooms, stir to combine.
- Stir in wine: add the wine to the pot, stirring to combine with the lamb. Add the garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Add the tomatoes along with the broth, stirring to combine. Add the sprigs of rosemary, dried oregano. Stir, and bring the pot to a simmer, uncovered. Simmer for at least 20 minutes before starting to cook the pasta.
- Start cooking pasta: Begin boiling the water for pasta after the ragu sauce has simmered for at least 20 minutes after adding broth (an extra 10 or 15 minutes of simmering is great). Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Whip the ricotta: Place the 1 cup ricotta cheese in a bowl. Add the basil, remaining tablespoon of olive oil and a few grinds of black pepper. Stir vigorously to combine. Set aside.
- Finish the dish: When the pasta has cooked to your liking, drain, and toss immediately with the sauce. Stir in the ricotta cheese mixture. Plate the pasta, and enjoy with a good glass of red wine!
- The miso adds some additional umami flavor, but you don’t need to buy it just for this recipe. You could also use soy sauce.
Keywords: ground lamb ragu, lamb ragu pasta, lamb ragu with red wine