Lidia’s Swiss Chard Potatoes
Lidia’s Swiss Chard Potatoes recipe is a creative and lightened version of mashed potatoes, relying on garlic and olive oil for flavor.
- Author: Adapted by Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 lbs Swiss chard, rinsed
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the Swiss chard: use a sharp paring knife to remove the thick stems from the chard, then thinly slice the stems. Set aside in a pile. Coarsely chop the chard leaves, and set aside in a separate pile.
- Boil the potatoes: Bring a large pot of water to a boil, then add the potatoes.
- Add the chard: After 20 minutes, add the sliced chard stems to the pot of boiling water. Cook the stems for 10 minutes, then add the chard leaves and boil for another 5 minutes. Drain in colander.
- Start garlic in skillet: Heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic, cook about 1 minute until the begins to brown.
- Add the cooked chard and potatoes, season lightly with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring and gradually mashing the potatoes, until the liquid is absorbed and the potatoes are coarsely mashed. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil, season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir to combine the added olive oil and seasonings. Add a bit more olive oil if needed to achieve desired consistency. Serve and enjoy as a substantial side dish.
- I like to use yellow potatoes for mashing in recipes like this, but other types such as russet would work.
Keywords: mashed potatoes, swiss chard recipes, lidia bastianich recipes