Penne with Arugula, Garlic and Beans
Arugula sautéed with plenty of garlic and tossed with garlic and kidney beans for a hearty vegetarian pasta recipe.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: Italian
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 ozs baby arugula
- dash of red pepper flakes, salt to taste
- 2 tbsp white wine
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans (white would work too), drained and rinsed
- 12 ozs penne or other short pasta
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- handful of chopped olives (optional)
- Begin boiling a pot of water to cook pasta according to package instructions.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the red bell pepper, sauté for about 3 minutes, then add the garlic. Let the garlic cook for a minute or two until it becomes golden.
- Stir in half of the arugula, along with another tablespoon of the olive oil. Let it start cooking down, 2 minutes or so, then add the rest of the arugula, red pepper flakes and the wine.
- Add the beans and salt to taste. Stir to combine. Give it another 3 minutes or so to heat the beans. Then reduce heat to low to keep warm while the pasta finishes cooking.
- When the pasta is done cooking, drain, and toss immediately with the arugula mixture and the remaining teaspoon of olive oil. Stir in the feta cheese, lemon juice, and olives, if using. Plate and enjoy!
- Just needs another two minutes or so, then set aside to toss with pasta when it’s ready.
- You can substitute bout 1/4 cup of roasted peppers instead of fresh red bell peppers if you like.
- You can also substitute pecorino romano cheese for the feta here.
Keywords: penne with arugula, pasta with arugula