Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus with Goat Cheese
Fresh asparagus wrapped in salty prosciutto, along with a bit of savory goat cheese, make for a flavorful appetizer. Presents nicely at a party!
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 3 mins
- Total Time: 18 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: steaming
- Cuisine: American
- 2 ozs goat cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried tarragon or Herbes de Provence – or fresh herbs if available!
- several grinds of black pepper
- juice from 1/2 of a lemon
- 1 bunch asparagus — woody stems discarded, remaining spear cut in half
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced prosciutto
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the goat cheese: In a bowl, combing the goat cheese with the tarragon, lemon juice and black pepper. Set aside.
- Steam the asparagus: place the asparagus to steam in a large pan for 2 to 3 minutes (see notes), until the asparagus is just tender.
- Drain the asparagus and rinse with cold water, to prevent it from cooking further. Keep the asparagus in strainer and as you prepare to put the appetizers together.
- Assemble: Spread several slices of prosciutto on working surface. Drizzle with olive oil. Take small bit of goat cheese, about the size of a pea and rub it on the shaft of a piece of asparagus. Place the asparagus at the end of a piece of prosciutto, and roll so that the asparagus is wrapped with 2-3 layers of the meat. Use a very sharp knife to cut the wrap from the remaining prosciutto. Trim the excess prosciutto to that the asparagus tip shows. Save the prosciutto trimmings for another use.
- Serve: Place the completed prosciutto wrapped asparagus pieces on a plate to serve. If not serving right away, cover the plate with plastic wrap and refrigerate.
- We like fairly thin asparagus. If you get thick asparagus you will need an extra minute or two of steaming to get the asparagus tender.
- Get good quality prosciutto — Prosciutto di Parma or similar.
- Toss the leftover bits of prosciutto into a pasta dish or salad for a tasty flavor boost.
Keywords: asparagus appetizer, prosciutto wrapped asparagus, asparagus with goat cheese.