Pasta with Summer Tomato Meat Sauce
Pasta gets tossed with meat cooked with fresh summer tomatoes, then topped with diced tomatoes and basil.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic, minced and divided
- 2/3 lb ground beef
- 1/3 lb ground pork
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 8 to 10 basil leaves, julienned and divided
- 4 cups tomatoes, diced and divided
- half cup of corn kernel, preferably from a fresh ear of corn
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 lb ziti or other short pasta
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese plus extra for topping
- 1/4 cup heavy cream (optional)
- Combine 2 cups of the diced tomatoes with one tablespoon olive oil, half of the basil and half of the garlic. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet on medium. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes until it begins to soften. Add half of the minced garlic, and cook for another minute.
- Add the ground beef and pork to the skillet, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the meat has browned on the outside. Stir in the balsamic vinegar.
- Add 2 cups of the diced tomatoes to the skillet, and stir to combine. Add the oregano and half of the basil. Lower heat to medium low. Simmer and stir occasionally while the pasta cooks.
- Begin boiling water for pasta when you add the tomatoes. Cook according to package instructions.
- Drain the pasta when cooked to your liking. Toss the pasta with one tablespoon olive oil followed by the tomato meat sauce. Stir in the 1/4 cup parmesan and the optional cream if using.
- Plate the pasta, then top with a couple of generous scoops of the fresh tomato basil mixture, and pass additional cheese at the table. Enjoy!
- You could use all beef instead of the beef / pork combo if you like.
Keywords: summer meat sauce, sauce with fresh tomatoes, ways to use fresh tomatoes