Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter
Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Cumin Sage Butter combines sweet, savory and spice for a spectacular side dish.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: American
- 4 to 5 large sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 to 1 cup milk
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter, softened a bit
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 sage leaves, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin
- juice from 1/2 of a lime
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook the sweet potatoes: Bring a pot of water to boil for the sweet potatoes. Add the potatoes and cook until soft–they cook a bit quicker than regular potatoes, about 20 to 25 minutes should do.
- Make the butter: As the potatoes cook, make the butter. Place the softened butter in a medium sized bowl. Add the garlic, sage, cumin, and lime juice to butter, and stir to combine. You need to stir vigorously at first to get things well incorporated into the butter. Continue stirring until everything is well mixed together. You can make the butter earlier and refrigerate if you like.
- Mash sweet potatoes with butter: Drain the potatoes, add 1/2 cup of milk and butter. Mash in the butter and milk as you would other types of mashed potatoes. Add extra milk as needed, mashing until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve with turkey, pork or other entree. Enjoy!
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator 20 to 30 minutes before making the cumin sage butter. This allows it to soften a bit.
- If you forget to take the butter out in advance, you can soften it by heating in a microwave for 5 seconds or less.
- We often use Earth Balance Buttery Spread in this recipe. In addition to being dairy free, it softens a bit more quickly than regular dairy butter.
- If your mashed sweet potatoes are ready ahead of the other dishes, keep it warm by adding a bit of extra milk and butter (plain is OK) to the top of the potatoes. Cover, and keep on very low heat. Just before serving, uncover and stir to incorporate the extra milk and butter.
Keywords: sweet potatoes, mashed sweet potatoes, sweet potatoes with cumin