Vegetarian Kale Soup
Kale simmers with onion and garlic for a flavorful, healthy soup recipe. Beans and tempeh provide substance and protein.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 1 8 oz package tempeh, broken or chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled chopped
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups of water
- 6 cups of kale, stems removed & coarsely chopped
- 1 tsp soy sauce
- 1 14.5 oz can red kidney beans
- pinch crushed red pepper flakes & salt to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add the tempeh, and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The tempeh will begin to brown a bit. Remove the tempeh from the pot and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tablespoon olive oil in the soup pan, then add the onions. Sauté for 5 minutes on medium, then add carrots and sauté a few more minutes.
- Stir in the russet and sweet potatoes, then add the garlic. Cook for a minute or two, then add the stock and water. Bring the liquid to a boil, then reduce to simmer on medium for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes the veggies should be starting to get soft. Use a sturdy spoon to smash some of the potato and butternut against the side of the pot, to thicken the soup. Stir in the kale in a few batches, to allow some to cook down a bit to create more room. Add salt to taste and a pinch of red pepper flakes.
- Stir in the tempeh and the kidney beans, and add the soy sauce. Cook for another 10 minutes to let all the flavors meld. More cooking time is great, too, if you’ve got the time! When it’s cooked to your liking, serve with a crusty bread and glass of Portuguese wine to round things out.
Keywords: vegetarian kale soup, vegetarian soup recipes