Beef and Vegetable Stir-Fry
Steak and veggies cook with a tasty sauce in the beef and vegetable stir-fry recipe. A quick, balanced meal suitable for weeknight cooking.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stir-fry
- Cuisine: Asian
For the sauce:
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon white wine
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon 5 spice powder
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried ginger (or 1 tablespoon fresh ginger)
- 1 1/4 pound sirloin steak, sliced thin (about 1/2 inch thick)
- 1 colored bell pepper
- 1 carrot, shredded or sliced very thin
- 1 daikon radish, shredded or sliced very thin
- handful of baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, divided
- Make the sauce: Combine the soy sauce, vinegar, white wine, maple syrup and five spice powder in a bowl. Stir in the scallions, garlic and ginger. Set the sauce aside.
- Stir-fry the steak: Heat 1 tablespoon of the cooking oil in a wok or skillet on medium high. Add the steak, stir frequently, and cook for about 3 minutes. Remove steak to a platter with a slotted spoon.
- Add the vegetables: Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the work or skillet, then add the veggies. Start with the bell pepper, let it cook for a minute, then add the carrots and radish. Cook on medium high for about 2 minutes, stirring regularly.
- Finish the dish: Add the steak back into the pan, along with most of the sauce (reserve a tablespoon or so). Stir to combine the beef, vegetables and sauce. Lower heat to medium and cook for another two minutes or so, stirring occasionally. Add the handful of baby spinach at the end of cooking, and stir to combine it with the rest of the veggies and steak. You are now ready to enjoy!
- Serve the beef and vegetable stir-fry by scooping the a portion of steak and veggies onto your plate. We like to serve it alongside or over brown rice. Add a bit of the reserved sauce to each serving.
- Vegetables: you could use 2 carrots instead of a daikon radish if you like, or substitute a similar root vegetable for the daikon.
- Shredded vegetables: We shredded the carrots and radish in a food processor. This made them so thin they cooked down very quickly. Opt for thinly sliced vegetables if you want more of a crunch from the vegetables.
Keywords: beef and vegetable stir-fry, chinese beef stir fry with vegetables, steak and veggie stir-fry