Easy Black Bean Turkey Chili
Turkey and black beans simmer with fresh salsa and spices for an quick, tasty and healthy meal.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 5 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Tex Mex
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion
- 5 crimini mushrooms, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced (or 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder)
- 1 jalapeño pepper (optional), seeded and flesh chopped
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 14 1/2 ozs diced tomatoes
- 1.5 to 2 tsp chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 14 1/2 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 16 ozs Roasted Corn and Black Bean Salsa
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 8 ozs low sodium chicken broth
- optional toppings: shredded cheese and/or sour cream
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot on medium heat. Add the onion, sauté for a few minutes until it begins to soften. Stir in the mushrooms, followed by the garlic and jalapeño pepper, if using.
- Gradually add the ground turkey to the pot, breaking it up with a heavy spoon as you go. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the turkey begins turning white.
- Stir in the tomatoes, chili powder and soy sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the black beans, salsa, ketchup and chicken broth to the pot. Stir to combine. Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve the chili in bowls with optional toppings, if desired, and enjoy!
- Look for other high quality salsa with roasted corn and black beans.
- The ketchup and soy sauce add some good flavor but you can reduce the amount if you want to lower the sodium content.
- You can also make this recipe in a slow cooker. To do so, brown the onions and the turkey in a skillet, then pour that into the slow cooker, along with all the other ingredients. Cook on low for 7.5 hours.
Keywords: turkey chili, black beans, healthy recipes