Chicken and Black Bean Enchiladas with Green Sauce
This healthy recipe for chicken and black bean enchiladas is easy to make and full of flavor! You can cook up some chicken to use for the recipe, or make use of leftover chicken or pick up some rotisserie chicken at the store.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: baking
- Cuisine: Mexican
- 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cut into bite sized pieces
- one 15 1/2 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño or other green chile (fresh or canned is OK)
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 cup shredded cheese, divided (I used a Mexican cheese blend)
- 1 cup green enchilada sauce
- 4 to 6 tortilla shells
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the filling: In a large bowl, combine the black beans, chicken, scallions and jalapeños. If you are using plain chicken, stir in an a tablespoon or so of the green enchilada sauce if you want to add some additional flavor.
- Prepare the baking dish: add a couple of scoops of the enchilada sauce to the bottom of a baking dish, and spread so that the bottom of the dish is evenly covered with a light coating.
- Assemble enchiladas: Lay a tortilla shell on a work surface. Add 2 to 3 tablespoons of the filling to the center of the enchiladas, spreading the filling into a rectangular shape, leaving plenty of room around the edges. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the shredded cheese over the top of the filling. Fold the tortilla, first at the top, then the bottom. Then fold the tortilla the longer way, bringing the left, then the right edges over to close it up. Place the enchilada fold side down in a large baking dish. Repeat the process for the remaining 4 enchiladas.
- Spread the sauce evenly over the top of the enchiladas. Sprinkle the shredded cheese over the top. Cover the enchilada dish, and bake for 20 minutes. At the end of the 20 minutes, carefully remove from the oven. Enjoy!
- Extra sauce for plain chicken: If you are using fairly plain chicken, such as store bought rotisserie chicken, you might want to add a tablespoon or so to the chicken and black bean mixture to add additional flavor to the filling.
- A homemade chicken option: We cooked up a batch of Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken Thighs to use for this recipe. This made for a flavorful enchilada filling!
- Using our Slow Cooker BBQ Chicken: If you are using our slow cooker chicken recipe to prepare the chicken for the enchiladas, or something similar, here are the steps to take. When the chicken has completed the slow cooking time, remove the chicken from the slow cooker with a slotted spoon. Place on a platter or large plate, and let cool enough to work with the chicken. When cooled a bit, use two forks to shred the chicken. For a flavorful chicken filling, return the shredded chicken to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the sauce. You can leave the shredded chicken in the slow cooker, keeping the crockpot covered on the warm setting, until you are ready to make the enchiladas. Scoop out the chicken with a slotted spoon when ready to use.
Keywords: chicken enchilada with green sauce, chicken and black bean enchiladas, leftover chicken enchiladas