Garlic Broccoli Pasta
Pasta tossed with roasted broccoli and garlic sautéed in high quality Italian olive, finished with cheese. Serve as a simple side or light main course.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 45 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: side dish
- Method: roasting + stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 4 cups chopped broccoli florets — 1 large or 2 medium stalks
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (for the broccoli)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 10 ozs spaghetti or other pasta
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano cheese plus additional for passing at table
- additional extra virgin oil if desired
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp minced parsley (optional)
- Roast the broccoli: Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Toss the broccoli with the 2 tablespoons olive oil plus salt and pepper to taste. Place the broccoli in the oven, and roast 25 to 30 minutes. The broccoli should be starting to brown and be easily pierced with a fork when it is ready. When done, set aside to cool a bit.
- Start the pasta: Start the water boiling for the pasta shortly after the broccoli goes in the oven. Plan to add the pasta to the water after the broccoli has been roasting for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Sauté the garlic: Heat the 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil in a small sauté pan on medium low heat. When it starts to get warm after a few minutes, add the garlic. Cook for one to two minutes, letting the garlic briefly sizzle a bit and release that garlicky aroma. You want the garlic to just start to turn golden, but remove before it gets brown. When the garlic is done, remove the pan from the heat.
- Finish the dish: Drain the pasta when cooked to your liking, following package instructions. Toss immediately with the garlic olive oil mixture, followed by the broccoli. Stir in the cheese, with a bit more olive oil if you like. Add salt and pepper to taste, and parsley if you are using it. Serve and enjoy!
- High quality extra virgin olive oil is important to the success of this dish! We were provided a complimentary sample of Chianti Classico Extra Virgin Olive oil from Barone Ricasoli.
- The garlic cooks quickly! Keep a close eye on it as you don’t want it to brown and develop bitter flavors.
Keywords: broccoli pasta, pasta with extra virgin olive oil, garlic and broccoli