Greek Style Ground Turkey Skillet
Delicious Greek Style Ground Turkey recipe features ground turkey and spinach cooked in a skillet with tomatoes, onions and garlic, with feta cheese, olives and lemon juice providing some good Greek flavors. Serve with orzo.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: Greek
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 colored bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- ¼ cup red wine
- 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbs lemon juice
- 3 cups baby spinach
- 10 ozs orzo
- 1/4 cup feta cheese, plus additional for serving
- 8 olives, sliced
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add the onion, cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the bell pepper. Cook for a few more minutes, then add the garlic and cook for one more minute.
- Add the turkey, breaking it up with a heavy spoon. Stir to combine with the other ingredients, then stir in the red wine.
- When the red wine has been absorbed after a minute or two, stir in the tomatoes, followed by the oregano and cinnamon. This is a good time to put on begin cooking the orzo to serve with the turkey spinach skillet.
- Simmer the turkey and vegetable mixture for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the spinach, and cook for a few more minutes, until wilted. Stir in the lemon juice, olives and feta.
- Drain the cooked orzo, and scoop a serving onto a plate. Scoop a serving of the turkey spinach skillet mixture over the orzo and enjoy! Alternatively, when the orzo is cooked you can stir the cooked pasta in with the turkey skillet mixture and combine it there, prior to plating.
- In just three minutes or so of cooking, the outside of the turkey will start turning white. But of course you want to be sure the turkey gets cooked through. Simmering the turkey with the tomatoes and other vegetables for a good ten minutes after the outside of the meat has browned will ensure it gets cooked through.
- Thyme can be used instead of cinnamon in this recipe.
Keywords: skillet recipes, ground turkey, Greek recipes, ground turkey skillet, easy turkey skillet dinner