Easy Grilled Sirloin Steak
An easy recipe for grilled sirloin steak, with a simple rub featuring thyme and rosemary. These herbs, common in French cooking, enhance the pairing with a good Côtes du Rhône wine.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 13 mins
- Total Time: 33 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: grilling
- Cuisine: American
For the rub
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
For the steak
- 2 sirloin steaks, about 1 pound each (they might be a bit over 1 lb)
- Make the rub: combine the salt, thyme, rosemary and garlic powder in a bowl.
- Prepare the sirloin steaks: Sprinkle a heaping teaspoon of the rub over one side of the sirloin. With your fingers, rub the spice blend into the meat. Turn the steak over, and sprinkle another heaping teaspoon of the spices over the steak, and rub it in. Repeat the rub process for the 2nd steak.
- Preheat a grill to 400 degrees. While the grill or oven preheats, let the sirloin steak rest at room temperature for about 20 minutes to allow the flavors to absorb into the sirloin steak.
- Grill the sirloin: Coat the grill lightly with oil spray. Place the steaks on direct heat on the grill, and cover. Grill for 6 minutes on direct, then turn the sirloin steaks over to grill on indirect heat for 7 minutes. Check for doneness– medium rare is 135 degrees.
- Rest and serve: let the grilled sirloin steaks rest on a platter for 5 minutes. Slice thinly to serve and enjoy!
- To set up an indirect heat area on a gas grill, leave one of the burners off. Place the steaks over that turned off burner for the indirect heating portion of time.
- Sirloin steak cooks fast — between the 13 minutes total cooking time and a resting time that went a bit past 5 minutes as I prepped some other things, the steak was more like medium by the time we served it, as you can see in the photos.
Keywords: grilled sirloin, grilled sirloin steak, wine pairing for steak, Cotes du Rhone wines