Ground Beef Chili with Red Wine from Moldova #winePW
A deeply flavored ground beef chili recipe with beans, fresh chili peppers, corn and more. Flavorful, moderately spicy.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 60 mins
- Total Time: 70 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 chili peppers — I used 1 serrano, 1 Fresno
- 1.75 lbs ground beef — I use grass fed ground beef
- pinch of salt
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 14.5 ozs diced tomatoes
- 8 ozs low sodium chicken broth
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 14.5 oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels
- handful finely minced greens (optional)
- 1/2 cup cooked elbow macaroni (optional)
- Shredded cheddar and/or Monterey Jack cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Sour cream
- Sauté onions & chilis: Add the oil to a large pot. Heat on medium, and add the onions. Cook until the onions begin to soften, about 5 minutes. Add the chili peppers and cook for a couple more minutes.
- Brown the beef: Add the ground beef to the the pot with a pinch of salt, breaking the beef up with a sturdy spoon. Stir to combine with the onions and chili peppers. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the beef begins to brown. After about 5 minutes, the beef should be starting to brown. Stir in the minced garlic.
- Add the liquid: Add the tomatoes, chicken broth and ketchup to the pot stirring to combine with the beef. Raise the heat a bit to get the liquid simmering, then reduce heat to medium low to maintain the simmer.
- Add the spices: Stir the spices into the pot — chili powder, cumin, cinnamon, coriander and paprika.
- Add the beans and corn: Stir in the pinto beans and the corn, and greens if using. Simmer uncovered for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Finish the chili: Add the cooked pasta toward the end of cooking, if using it. When the chili has simmered for at least 45 minutes after adding the beans, it is ready when you are! Serve the chili in bowls, topped with cheese and avocado slices. Enjoy!
- Mix it up! This recipe provides a good base for your to create your own delicious chili! Sure, you can follow it exactly, but this is definite a recipe that can be easily adapted to suit your tastes. Experiment with the types of chilis used, the amount and type of spices uses, etc. Have fun experimenting and tasting!
- Chili peppers: The heat comes from the seeds and the pith (the fibrous material connecting the flesh to the seeds). Use more or less depending on how much heat you like.
- Greens: Greens are definitely not a typical addition to chili recipes! But we had some extra kale on hand, so I finely minced a handful and added to the chili. Adds a bit more nutrition and not enough to impact the taste or texture.
Keywords: beef chili, grass fed beef chili, chili recipes about one hour, stove top chili, chili with red wine pairing