Pumpkin seeds take the place of pine nuts to make this nut-free pesto recipe something that can be enjoyed by people with nut allergies.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 8 servings 1x
- Category: Sauce
- Method: food processor
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed and tightly packed
- 4 cloves garlic
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¾ cup Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp pumpkin seeds, lightly toasted
- Put the basil into a food processor, and give it a quick whir to begin chopping the basil and make room for the other ingredients.
- Add the garlic, and hit the food processor button again to get the cloves chopped up with the basil.
- Add the oil and the cheese, and then puree to get everything well combined. Add the toasted pumpkin seeds, and give the food processor a whirl to get the seeds incorporated into the pesto.
- Open the food processor, scrape the sides to get bits of garlic and basil that haven’t been incorporated, then give the processor a final whir. You have nut-free pesto ready to serve with pasta or to use in other recipes.
Keywords: nut free pesto, pesto sauce