Lightened Creamy Penne with Broccoli
Silken tofu adds creaminess without the calories to this Lightened Creamy Penne with Broccoli. The dish can easily be made vegan by omitting the optional parmesan cheese topping or using a dairy-free alternative.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- 12 ozs penne pasta (other short shape would work)
- 3 cloves garlic
- ½ pack of silken tofu
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch of broccoli, thick stalks removed and florets chopped
- optional parmesan cheese for serving (use dairy free for a vegan dish)
- Boil a pot of water to start cooking penne according to package instructions.
- Make the tofu cream sauce as the pasta cooks. Place the garlic cloves in a food processor, pulse to chop the garlic finely. Add the tofu, parsley, olive oil, salt and red pepper flakes, and puree. This gives you a nice creamy sauce. Set aside.
- Place the chopped broccoli on a vegetable steamer inside a pan with an inch or two of water at the bottom. Bring to a boil, and steam covered for 5 minutes. Drain the broccoli when steamed and set aside.
- Drain the penne when cooked, and toss immediately with the creamy tofu sauce.
- Stir the broccoli into the pasta with the creamy sauce. Serve hot, passing optional cheese for topping at the table.
Keywords: lightened pasta, pasta recipes with broccoli, using tofu for creamy sauce