Quinoa with Grilled Onions and Peppers
Hearty quinoa grain tossed with grilled onions, peppers and feta cheese for an easy and healthy side dish.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side dish
- Method: stove top + grilling
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed in cold water until the water runs clear
- 2 cups of water
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 yellow or red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/3 cup feta cheese
- 2 cups baby spinach (optional)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a grill to 400 degrees.
- Toss the onion and pepper with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Put the onion mixture into a grill pan, and place on the grill. Stir occasionally, grilling for about 10 minutes until the onions start to brown. Remove the grilled onions and peppers, and scrape into a plastic bowl. Toss with another tablespoon olive oil, and set aside.
- Start the quinoa as the onions and pepper grills. Heat the water to boiling, stir in the quinoa. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer covered for 16 to 20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- When the quinoa is done, stir the onion pepper mixture into the quinoa.
- Stir in the feta cheese, and the spinach and balsamic vinegar if using and serve the quinoa along with your main course.
- Place the quinoa in a sieve, and rinse with cold water until the water runs clear for best results.
- Grill the peppers and onions while the quinoa cooks.
- Baby spinach and balsamic vinegar are additional ingredients we have added at times.
Keywords: quinoa recipes, healthy side dishes, grilled onions and peppers