Red Cabbage Risotto
Sautéed red cabbage serves as the healthy base of this risotto, along with onions and garlic. Finished with Pecorino Romano cheese for a satisfying meal.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 cups red cabbage, chopped into thin slices
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic, minced
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup red wine
- 7 cups beef or vegetable broth (vegetable to make the dish vegetarian)
- 1/2 cup Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 tsp high quality balsamic vinegar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Bring the broth to a gentle simmer and keep warm.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions sauté until the onions start to get soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage sauté for another 5 to 7 minutes, until it starts to get soft. Add the garlic and sauté for another minute.
- Add the rice, stir to get it evenly coated with onion and cabbage mixture, about 2 minutes. Add the wine, cook until it is absorbed.
- Add a ladle or two of broth to the rice, stir in and cook on medium low until the broth is absorbed. Add another ladle of broth and repeat process. You need to be stirring quite frequently throughout the process, thought you can attend to other things in the kitchen, too. Once all or most of the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender to the bite, the risotto is ready to finish. This takes about 30 minutes.
- Stir in the cheese, salt and pepper to taste. If you would like, add 1 teaspoon of high quality balsamic vinegar. Plate the risotto, and enjoy along with a salad and good Italian red wine!
- You don’t need to stir constant, but frequent stirring is needed when making risotto. Don’t go too far from the kitchen!
Keywords: red cabbage, risotto recipes, red cabbage risotto, Italian food