- I have made this marinade without heating the marinade ingredients, but have seen heating the wine recommended a couple places, to best tenderize the meat, so am leaving the recipe that way. But it seems to come out fine if you want to skip heating the wine and mix the marinade at room temperature.
Tips for scaling up the recipe
- You will need two bags to fit a double portion of short ribs. Double the marinade quantity, and divide it between two bags to marinate the ribs.
Slow Cooker Option
- Marinate the short ribs as described in the instructions.
- Brown the beef with the vegetables in a large skillet, as described above. Transfer the beef and veggie mixture from the skillet to the slow cooker. Add the broth, 2 cups of reserved marinade, rosemary, optional spice blend and minced garlic to the slow cooker. Cover and cook for 2 hours on high, 6.5 hours on low, or 10 hours on low.
- When the short ribs have cooked in the slow cooker for the desired amount of time, remove the meat from the bones as described above. You can either put the meat back into the slow cooker with the liquid along with the cooked mushrooms, or finish the dish in a large pan — combine the liquid, meat and mushrooms and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.