Roasted Root Vegetable Farro
Caramelized roasted root vegetables combined with hearty farro grain makes a substantial side dish. Can also be served as a vegetarian entree.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Side
- Method: roasting & stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 head of garlic
- 3 parsnips, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 golden beet, peeled and chopped into bite sized pieces
- 3 tbsp plus 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 cups farro, soaked for 20 minutes, then drained and rinsed.
- ½ cup Parmagiano cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional sautéed mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut the root end off the head of garlic, exposing the bottom of the garlic cloves. Drizzle exposed cloves with 1 teaspoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Wrap the garlic in aluminum foil in oven. Roast until garlic is brown and getting very soft, about 45 minutes. Set aside to cool when done roasting. When the garlic has cooled, squeeze the good stuff out of the skin and it is ready to use.
- Chop the other vegetables as the garlic starts to roast–they need a bit less time. Spread the chopped root vegetables in a roasting pan. Spread the balsamic vinegar and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil over the vegetables, and add salt and pepper to taste. Toss the veggies to combine with the olive and vinegar.
- Place the roasted root vegetable pan in the oven alongside the garlic. This is also a good time to start boiling a large pot of water for the farro.
- Roast the root vegetables for 25 minutes, then remove the pan to check for vegetables that are done, most likely some of the parsnips will be done first. They are done when browned and easily pierced with a fork.
- Remove the vegetables that are done, and set aside. Return the rest of the vegetables to roast for another 10 minutes. Remove the roasting pan, and set the vegetables aside.
- Cook the farro as the root vegetables are roasting. Add the farro to the large pot of boiling water, and boil until the the farro is tender, at least 25 minutes.
- When the farro is tender, drain the farro and then toss with 1 tablespoon olive oil and the cheese. Stir in the roasted root vegetables and the roasted garlic (squeezed out of its skin). Add optional mushrooms if using. Serve and enjoy the roasted root vegetable farro as a hearty side dish or vegetarian main.
Keywords: root vegetables, farro recipes, side dish