Scallops with Pesto
Easy pan seared scallops served with a bit of pesto for a quick, delicious entree. Recipe makes enough pesto to use for a side dish of pasta.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
For the pesto
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 cups rinsed basil leaves
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup Pecorino or Parmesan cheese
- 2 tbsp pine nuts or toasted pumpkin seeds
For the scallops
- 1/2 lb sea scallops, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Make the pesto: place the garlic cloves in a food processor or blender. Pulse to chop the garlic. Add the basil, olive oil, cheese and pine nuts. Puree until the pesto is a smooth consistency. Open the lid, stir in any bits that may be stuck to the side, and briefly puree again until everything is incorporated into the sauce. Set aside.
- Sear the scallops: Heat a nonstick skillet on medium high. When hot, add the scallops. Cook undisturbed for 2 minutes. Then turn the scallops over, and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until the flesh is just cooked through.
- Plate the dish: Place several scallops on a plate, top with a bit of pesto, and serve with a side of pasta with pesto, if you like. Enjoy with a good glass of Chablis for best results!
- Rinse the basil in a colander. Gently squeeze excess liquid before using.
- We use pumpkin seeds as a nut free alternative to pine nuts, which are traditionally used in pesto.
Keywords: scallops with pesto, pan seared scallops, shellfish, pairings with Chablis