Seitan Skillet with Peppers and Onions
Seitan cooked with sizzling peppers and onions for a quick and tasty meatless meal.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 3 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stir-fry
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 8 ozs seitan, sliced thin
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp champagne vinegar (other vinegar would be fine)
- Handful of baby spinach (optional)
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a skillet on medium heat. Add the onion, cook for five minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the bell pepper to the skillet and cook for another 5 minutes.
- While the onions and pepper cook, make the sauce in a small bowl. Combine the ketchup, soy sauce, cumin, garlic powder, the remaining tablespoon olive oil and champagne vinegar. Whisk together and set aside.
- After the bell pepper has cooked for 5 minutes, add the seitan to the skillet. Add the sauce, and stir so that the seitan, onions and peppers are well combined.
- Cook the seitan for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, followed by the spinach, if using. The dish is ready to serve after 5 minutes of cooking everything together.
- We use plain seitan for this recipe.
- The spinach adds nice additional color and extra nutrition if you have some on hand, but we originally made the recipe with out it. Either way it is good!
Keywords: seitan recipes, vegan main course, high protein vegan options