Sesame Free Hummus with Wine from the Middle East #winePW
Delicious sesame free hummus has all the flavor of the classic spread without the tahini. Perfect for those with food allergies or if you simply don’t have tahini available.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: food processor
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Diet: Vegan
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 14.5 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp plus 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp sumac (optional) with additional for dusting at end
- 2 tbsp lemon juice (about 1/2 a medium lemon)
- 3 tbsp water (or more to get desired consistency)
- 1 tsp sun butter (optional)
- pita chips and/or sliced bell peppers or other veggies for serving.
- Mince the garlic: Start the hummus by adding the clove of garlic to the food processor, and pulse to mince.
- Add remaining ingredients: add the chickpeas, 2 tbsp + 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil (1 tsp is for the finishing), cumin, optional sumac, lemon juice, water and optional sun butter. Puree in the food processor until it achieves the desired consistency. You can add a little bit of water if necessary.
- Serve: Scoop the hummus onto a plate or into a dip serving bowl. Use a spatula to create swirls in the hummus. Drizzle the remaining tsp of olive oil, and sprinkle with a bit of red pepper flakes and/or sumac for a nice presentation and extra flavor! Serve along with pita chips and/or slices of raw vegetables. I especially like red bell peppers for serving with hummus!
- Sun butter is one recommended substitute for tahini I came across, and I liked the hummus using it. I have made this hummus without the sun butter, so you can skip if you like.
- Hummus tends to be thicker than most other dips I make. But you do want to add enough liquid so that you can scoop it easy enough. Start with the quantities given, then add a bit more water if you want to make it smoother in consistency. You could use a bit of extra lemon juice instead of water if you like.
- You can use a spatula to create swirls in the finished hummus for a nice presentation.
Keywords: hummus without tahini, sesame free recipes, hummus with wine pairing