Slow Cooker Irish Lamb Stew
Slow Cooker Irish Lamb Stew with tender meat and Irish vegetables for St. Patrick’s Day or any chilly night you want a hearty meal.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 9 hours 15 mins
- Total Time: 9 hours 30 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Stew
- Method: slow cooker
- Cuisine: Irish
- 2 tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 leek, white and light green part, chopped
- 3 1/2 cups cabbage, chopped
- 2 large russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs lamb stew meat
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups water
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- bay leaf
- 1 cup baby spinach leaves
- 1 tbsp mint leaves, finely minced (or substitute parsley here)
- Sauté veggies: Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onions, cook for a few minutes, then add the carrots and leek. Cook for about 5 more minutes until the veggies begin to soften. Transfer these veggies into the slow cooker, and add the potatoes and cabbage in a layer on top of the sautéed vegetables.
- Brown the lamb: Return the skillet to the stove, heat the remaining olive on medium. Add the lamb. Salt and pepper the lamb to taste, then cook for 5 minutes on one side to brown. Turn the lamb over, brown the other side for another 5 minutes.
- Add lamb to slow cooker: Transfer the lamb to the slow cooker. Pour in the chicken stock and the water, then add the sprigs of rosemary and bay leaf.
- Slow cooking time: Cook in the slow cooker for 1 hour on high, 8 hours on low. When cooked, stir in the baby spinach leaves for some nice green color.
- Serve hot, topped with a touch of fresh mint, along with a pint or glass of hearty red wine. Sláinte!
- If you want to use a bit more lamb than called for, as I did recently, add an extra quarter cup or so of broth.
- Substitute parsley for mint if you like. Mint is a classic herb for lamb, but during a recent remake of the stew I had parsley for something else, and used it instead of buying mint. Worked well.
Keywords: lamb stew, Irish recipes, slow cooker lamb stew