Tomato Caprese Salad with Pesto
Tomato Caprese Salsa with Pesto is the quintessential dish for showcasing fresh summer tomatoes and basil. It gets even better with a refreshing Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: appetizer
- Method: salad
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1 medium fresh tomato, cut into 6 slices about 1/2 inch thick
- Fresh mozzarella, cut into 6 slices 1/2 inch thick
- 6 fresh basil leaves
- 2 tbsp pesto sauce
- 1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- pinch of salt
- Place a tomato slice on a serving plate, topped by a slice of the mozzarella, followed by a basil leaf.
- Lean another tomato slice over the first set of basil and mozzarella, so that the second tomato is partially covering the first pile but part of the tomato is on the plate.
- Place the next slice of mozzarella on top of the 2nd tomato slice followed by a slice of basil. Add the next tomato, leaning at an angle, so that you are creating a ring or semi-circle of the tomato, mozzarella and basil slices.
- When you have finished arranging the tomato, basil and mozzarella, sprinkle the salt over the Caprese salad, and drizzle the olive oil over the tomatoes.
- Add the pesto alongside the tomato, mozzarella and basil.
- To serve, scoop a portion of the tomato caprese salad onto each plate, topped by a dollop of the pesto. Enjoy!
- This recipe is perfect for two, or three people could probably share as an appetizer. Click the “scale” button above to easily get the quantities for doubling or tripling the recipe. This is a great summer party recipe too!
- Although you could use store bought pesto for this recipe, we strongly encourage you to make your own! You need fresh basil for this recipe anyway, so why not? Here’s our recipe for classic basil pesto.
Keywords: tomato Caprese salad, New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc pairings, recipes with fresh tomatoes