Turkey Cabbage Skillet
Turkey Cabbage Skillet recipe, cooked with a vibrant miso soy stir-fry sauce, is a delicious, healthy meal. Great way to use cabbage!
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Method: stir-fry
- Cuisine: Asian
- Diet: Low Fat
For the stir-fry sauce
- 2 1/2 tbsp miso paste
- 1 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp light vinegar such as rice or champagne
- 1 tbsp minced ginger
- juice from 1/4 of a lime
- dash of sriracha sauce (optional)
- 1/2 tsp or more to taste minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 tbsp white cooking wine
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 cups cabbage, chopped into thin shreds
- cooked rice, for serving
- Make the sauce: Whisk together the miso paste, water and soy sauce. Add the remaining sauce ingredients — syrup, vinegar, ginger, jalapeño, lime juice, and optional sriracha– and whisk to combine. Set sauce aside as you cook the turkey and cabbage.
- Start the stir-fry: Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet or wok on medium high heat. Add the onion, stir to combine with the oil. Cook about 3 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the turkey: Stir in the ground turkey, breaking up with a heavy spoon and combining with the onion. Add the remaining tablespoon oil along with the cooking wine. Cook the turkey, stirring occasionally, for about 3 minutes. It should be starting to turn white on the outside.
- Stir in the veggies: Add the bell pepper to the skillet, stirring to combine. Cook for about one minute, then add the cabbage in two batches — add about half the cabbage, stirring to combine with the other ingredients. Then repeat, stirring in the remaining cabbage. Stir-fry the cabbage for about two minutes.
- Add the sauce: Stir in most of the stir-fry sauce, leaving about a tablespoon in the bowl to use as a topping. Stir to combine well, then reduce heat to medium low, and cover the skillet. Cook for 5 minutes, until the cabbage has softened and the turkey has cooked through.
- Serve and enjoy! Plate a bit of rice, and serve the turkey cabbage stir-fry over the rice. Drizzle a bit of extra sauce for additional flavor (skip this step for those who like more mild flavors).
- We make this dish in our big cast iron skillet, but you could certainly use a wok. You do need a cover for the final step; although if you are using a pan without a cover you could probably do the final step with aluminum foil covering the pan.
- Get the veggies all chopped for the dish before you start cooking!
- I have been loving the Wildbrine Kimchi Sriracha, and that is what I used in this recipe. Including my Amazon affiliate link to a pack of 8 bottles of it, if you want to go all in on this recommendation!
- When cooking turkey and other poultry, I switch to a clean spoon once the turkey is cooked through or getting close to that stage. Just to avoid any chance for some bacteria from the raw turkey to be hanging around when finishing and serving the dish.
Keywords: turkey and cabbage, cabbage stir-fry, turkey stir-fry