Vegetarian Sausage Pasta
Vegetarian Sausage Pasta uses spicy Italian Beyond Sausage to provide robust sausage flavor without meat. The Beyond Sausage cooks along with onions, pepper, tomatoes and more for a flavorful and healthy Italian dish.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: main
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Italian
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 3 spicy Italian Beyond Sausages (10 to 11 ozs total) or similar
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 6 olives, sliced
- 12 ozs ziti
- handful of spinach
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped (optional)
- grated Parmesan cheese to pass at table (use vegan version to make the dish vegan)
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the Beyond Sausages and brown the outside, turning occasionally. Remove when the sausage has browned, about 5 minutes. Set the sausage aside to cool.
- Heat the other tablespoon of olive oil in the same skillet used to brown the sausage. Add the onion, and cook for about 5 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Stir the bell pepper into the skillet, cook for a few more minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
- After adding the pepper to the skillet, start cooking the pasta in a large pot according to package instructions.
- Stir the tomatoes into the skillet, along with the basil and oregano. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Slice the browned Beyond Sausage, and stir back into the skillet along with the sliced olives.
- Simmer the sauce for 5 to 10 minutes after adding the Beyond Sausage slices, stirring occasionally. It will likely start breaking up in into smaller bits; that is fine. Add the fresh parsley toward the end of simmering, if using.
- Drain the pasta after cooked to your liking. Toss the pasta immediately with the Beyond Sausage sauce. Plate and pass cheese at the table for topping. Enjoy!
- We like the Beyond Sausage brand for a vegan sausage option, but you could other brands. We have also made a similar dish with chicken or turkey, if you are a flexitarian looking for healthy sausage pasta recipes.
- We label the dish vegetarian sausage pasta as we like to add regular Parmesan cheese. You could make this vegan by using a product such as the Go Veggie plant based cheese.
- As mentioned in the instructions, we found the Beyond Sausage breaks into little bits when cooking, particularly when using a package that we had frozen and then thawed for the dish. Though not our intention, this did make for a nice thick sauce.
Keywords: beyond sausage, vegetarian sausage pasta, meatless sausage recipes