Irish Vegetable Soup
An easy and satisfying Irish vegetable soup recipe. A variety of common vegetables simmer together, then get puréed for a comforting creamy soup. Topped with cheddar cheese, and served with toasted bread.
- Author: Cooking Chat
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 5 servings 1x
- Category: Soup
- Method: stove top
- Cuisine: Irish
- Diet: Vegetarian
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 leeks, white and light green portion, chopped (you make this Leek Greens with Bacon with the tops)
- 3 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 or 2 cloves garlic, minced (see note)
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or chicken broth if you aren’t seeking a vegetarian soup)
- 1 cup water
- 3 medium yellow potatoes, peeled and chopped (about 3 to 3 1/2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp parsley, minced
- 1 cup peas (optional, thawed if frozen)
- shredded cheddar cheese for topping – have about 1/2 a cup ready with more available if needed
- toasted bread for serving
- Sauté the onion: heat the olive oil in a large soup pot on medium heat. Add the onions, and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Stir in the leeks, followed by the carrots. Cook for a few more minutes, then add the garlic.
- Add the liquid. Stir in the broth and water. Add the potatoes and the rosemary. Raise the heat until the liquid begins to boil. Lower to medium low to maintain a steady simmer.
- Simmer the soup for at least 30 minutes. Stir occasionally, and adjust the heat slightly to keep the soup simmering.
- Purée the soup when the vegetables are good and soft. We like to use an immersion blender to gradually purée the soup into a nice creamy consistency. Alternatively, you could transfer the soup in batches to a food processor or blender to purée it.
- Finish the soup: Keep the puréed soup on low heat as you get ready to serve. Add salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the peas if using, and give them a few minutes to heat. Ladle the soup into a bowl, and top with a bit of shredded cheddar cheese and parsley. Serve with some toasted bread and enjoy!
- Chop as you go: you can chop the veggies as you go. i.e. chop the onions, add them to the pot, prep the leeks as the onions begin to cook, and so forth. This saves time the prep process.
- Broth: we made the soup originally with vegetable broth. You could use chicken broth, too, if not concerned about making the soup vegetarian.
- Garlic: we used raw garlic, but next time we might try a tablespoon of roasted garlic to deepen the flavor.
Keywords: Irish vegetable soup, veggie soup recipe, homemade Irish vegetable soup, Irish comfort food, vegetarian Irish recipes