Farro with Grilled Eggplant, Tomatoes and Mozzarella
Hearty farro grain with grilled eggplant, tomatoes and mozzarella makes a good side dish or a vegetarian main dish.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: Vegetarian
- 1 1/4 cup farro, soaked for 30 minutes and rinsed
- 1 large ripe tomato, diced
- 1 large eggplant, sliced into circles about 1/2 inch thick
- 1/2 zucchini, sliced into 1/2 inch thick circles
- 3 tbsp pesto, optional
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- extra parmesan cheese for serving
- 3/4 cup fresh mozzarella, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
- Spread the sliced eggplant on a plate and sprinkle with salt. Let it sit that way for about 30 minutes, then wipe the salt off. This improves the flavor and consistency.
- Preheat the grill to medium as the end time for your salting approaches.
- Spray both sides of the eggplant and zucchini with olive oil, then place on the grill. I put the eggplant directly on the grill and the zucchini in a grill pan. Turn the vegetables over once, grill for about 8 to 10 minutes until the veggies are nicely browned and soft. The zucchini need a bit less cooking time. Remove vegetables from grill when cooked and spread out to cool. After the veggies have cooled a bit, slice them into bite sized pieces.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water to cook the farro. When the water is boiling, add the farro grain. It takes about 25 minutes to cook until softened. Drain the farro when it is tender. Toss with the olive oil, grilled veggies, tomatoes, pesto and mozzarella. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve with parmesan cheese for people to use at the table if they wish.