A pasta salad is the first thing I think of for a “food that travels”, which is the theme of today’s #SundaySupper. Pasta salad is certainly a nice option to bring along for summer outings, but a farro dish can be a nice change of pace. This ancient wheat variety has a nice nutty flavor, and is very substantial. I have typically served farro hot immediate after serving, but this Farro with Eggplant and Tomatoes dish came out very nicely when served cold.
I find cooked dishes being served cold often need something to provide enough flavor when the food isn’t hot. A bit of pesto has done the trick for me in some cases. In this farro recipe, pomegranate molasses did the trick. Just a little bit added a noticeable flavor boost to the dish. If you don’t have pomegranate molasses, you could probably substitute balsamic vinegar. But it’s worth picking up if you can find it–make some of this Muhammara Spicy Red Pepper Dip with it too.
If you’re not a big eggplant fan, I was with you until I found out how much I liked it grilled. Be sure to salt it first as instructed, I find it makes a big difference. Grilled eggplant adds a nice caramelized quality to it; I have also roasted eggplant for this dish with good results.
I toss the farro with cheddar here, but feta or mozzarella could also work well. I have the Farro with Eggplant and Tomatoes recipe listed as a side dish, thinking in terms of something you could bring along to serve at a cookout or picnic with other things. It’s a great side dish with steak. However, this farro recipe definitely has enough substance to serve as a vegetarian main along with a green salad. The recipe is listed as having six servings as a side, it would make 4 main dish servings. Side or main dish, give it a try and enjoy!Print
Farro with Eggplant and Tomatoes
Farro tossed with eggplant, tomatoes and cheese for a hearty side dish that could also be served as a main along with a green salad.
- Prep Time: 30 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 6 servings 1x
- Category: Side Dish
- Cuisine: vegetarian
- 1 ½ cups tomatoes, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 medium eggplants, sliced into semi-circles about 1/2 inch thick
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp pomegranate molasses
- 1 ¼ cup farro, soaked for 30 minutes, then drained and rinsed
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- After slicing the eggplant, spread it out and sprinkle it with salt. Let it sit for about 30 minutes, then wipe the salt off.
- Combine the tomatoes with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and the minced garlic. Set aside for later.
- Preheat a grill to medium high. Spread the salted eggplant out in a grill pan or other such device to keep the eggplant from slipping through the grill grates. Coat with cooking oil spray. Place the grill pan on the grill to cook the eggplant.
- Turn the eggplant slices over after 5 minutes, and grill for another 5 minutes or so until the eggplant is cooked to a nice tenderness and has begun to caramelize. Remove the eggplant from the grill and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, boil a large pot of water to cook the farro. Add the farro grain to the boiling water and cook until softened, about 25 minutes.
- Drain the farro when it is tender. Toss with the olive oil, grilled eggplant, tomatoes, pomegranate molasses and cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- The farro can be served immediately, or chilled to serve later cold. If you are only planning to serve it cold, rinse the cooked farro with cold water and drain thoroughly before tossing it with the other ingredients.
Be sure to check out all the tasty recipes from the #SundaySupper bloggers!
- Almond Flour Brownies by Recipe for Perfection
- Cherry Blueberry Pie by Pies and Plots
- Cherry Pound Cake with Lime Glaze by Grumpy’s Honeybunch
- Classic Carrot Cake by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- No Bake Banana Pie in a Jar by Our Good Life
- No Bake Millionaire Shortbread Cookies by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Oatmeal Raisin Banana Bars by What Smells So Good?
Mains in Motion
- Baby Back Pork Loin Ribs by The Freshman Cook
- BBQ Chicken On The Grill To Go by Family Foodie
- Chicken Salad Skewers by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Cobb Salad in a Jar by Life Tastes Good
- Farro with Eggplant and Tomato by Cooking Chat
- Mediterranean Pasta Salad by Serena Bakes Simply From Scratch
- Mexican Breakfast Casserole by Simply Healthy Family
- Pan Bagnat (Provençal Tuna Sandwich) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Pastitsio by Food Done Light
- Roasted Vegetable Tart by Adventures in All Things Food
- Spinach Pie by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Vegan SuperFood Bowl by Sustainable Dad
- Grilled Corn, Bean & Radish Salad by Feeding Big
- Heirloom Tomato Salsa by Nosh My Way
- Parmesan Pasta Salad by Recipes Food and Cooking
- Pomodoro Fresco Pasta Salad by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Cherry Crumble No-Bake Energy Bars by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Chocolate Zucchini Muffins by Caroline’s Cooking
- Energy Balls by Noshing With The Nolands
- Sunflower Seed Oatmeal Bars by Magnolia Days
- 5 Comfort Food Tips by Sunday Supper Movement
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.