Tomato and Tempeh Skillet Over Quinoa is an easy, flavorful vegan recipe that can be on your plate in under 30 minutes. Save this for the next time you are looking for a quick, healthy meal!
Tempeh is a plant based protein source that has a nutty flavor, making it option for vegetarian entrees. Today we feature the cured soybean product in a new recipe, Tomato and Tempeh Skillet Over Quinoa.
I’ve had a package of tempeh sitting in the fridge for a few weeks, and it was time to put it to use. I recalled that tempeh combined well with tomato in this Meatless “Meat” Sauce recipe, so figured I’d put tomato and tempeh together again. Cooked with some onion and bell pepper, plus some Italian seasoning, the tomato and tempeh combo came out very tasty once again.
This tomato and tempeh skillet gets served over quinoa for an extra boost of nutrients, and it also makes this a very substantial entree. As given in the instructions, this is a vegan recipe. It tasted great the first night in this vegan version. I did sprinkle a bit of feta cheese on top when re-heating the leftovers, and that was a nice addition if you are so inclined.
Wine Pairing for Tomato and Tempeh Skillet
The first night we had the tomato and tempeh skillet, I opened a bottle of 2016 Estandon Côtes de Provence Rosé ($15). This is a classic rosé from this region, made from a blend of Grenache, Cinsault, Syrah and Rolle (what they call Vermentino in the region). Melon and peach fruit, a pretty good pairing for the tomato and tempeh skillet.
When heating up the leftover tomato and tempeh skillet for a 2nd meal, we paired the dish with the 2013 Parducci Merlot ($12, 13.5 % ABV). This smooth drinking Merlot is a very good bargain, and paired well with the tomato and tempeh skillet. The feta cheese created a nice bridge for the red wine.Print
Tomato and Tempeh Skillet Over Quinoa
Tempeh cooked with onions, peppers and tomatoes. Served over quinoa for a nutrient rich, vegan meal.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped (other colored peppers are fine)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ozs tempeh, broken into bite sized pieces
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 6 olives, sliced
- Start the quinoa. Heat the water to boiling, stir in the quinoa. Reduce heat to medium low, and simmer covered for 16 to 20 minutes until the water is absorbed. When the quinoa is done, remove heat, stir with a fork, then cover.
- As the quinoa cooks, heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onions, sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the bell pepper to the skillet, cook for another 4 minutes. Add the garlic, cook for another minute.
- Stir in the tempeh, followed by the tomatoes. Add the basil, marjoram and parsley, stir to combine.
- Simmer the tempeh and tomato mixture for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally. Add the olives at the end of cooking time.
- Plate a scoop of the quinoa. Scoop a portion of the the tempeh and tomato mixture onto the quinoa. Repeat for the other portions and enjoy!