An easy and tasty Mediterranean Grilled Chicken recipe is even better when paired with a Bandol rosé wine!
This Mediterranean Grilled Chicken recipe definitely started with the wine.
I sampled a bit of the current vintage of the Domaine Suffrene Bandol Rosé and it seemed to me the perfect expression of a good rosé. Ripe melon flavors that just say summer in a glass. I grabbed a bottle without a specific food plan for it. But then I realized we had the rosé themed Wine Pairing Weekend coming up, hosted by Lori at Draecana Wines.
So what food to pair with a Bandol rosé? The Bandol appellation in Provence features steep hillsides sloping to the sea. Seafood is certainly one natural food to pair with a Bandol rosé. But grilled chicken was another suggestion I came across, so I decided to go in that direction.
When making Grilled Chicken Broccoli and Garlic Penne recently, I made a simple marinade for the chicken for the chicken that added a nice flavor. I decided to repurpose that blend of basil, garlic and olive oil for this easy Mediterranean Grilled Chicken. We even got a thumbs up from our discerning twelve year old, so I would say this grilled chicken recipe is a keeper!
Bandol Rosé with Mediterranean Grilled Chicken
Domaine La Suffrene, located on a high hilltop in the Bandol appellation of Provence, started making their own wines in 1966. Previously they had sold their grapes to cooperatives. The vineyard features 70 year old Cinsault and 50 year old Mourvedre vines.
The 2016 Domaine La Suffrence Rosé ($25, 13.5% ABV) is a blend of Mourvedre, Cinsault, Grenache and Carignan. Taste of melon fruit and some underlying minerality. Definitely one of my favorite rosés, and as expected, this wine was a great pairing for our Mediterranean Grilled Chicken!
- 4 medium boneless chicken breast fillets
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried basil
- ¼ tsp salt or adjust to taste
- Combine the chicken in a bowl with the olive oil, garlic powder, basil and salt. Let it marinate for about 10 minutes at room temperature.
- Preheat a grill to medium high.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade, letting excess marinade drip back into the bowl. Place the chicken on the grill,
- Grill the chicken for about 6 minutes on one side, then turn over to finish grilling for another 6 minutes or so. Check the chicken for doneness after 12 minutes of total grilling. Remove chicken if done, or grill for a few more minutes to finish cooking if needed.
- Plate the chicken and enjoy.
Rosé Pairings from the #winePW bloggers
- Martin of enofylzwineblog will be recommending Two Easy Summer Meals And Two California Rosés.
- Lauren of The Swirling Dervish declares it is Dinner Time and Wine: Three Pairings for Sparkling Rosé.
- Jill of L’Occasion will be showing us how to use Rosé and Sea Salt.
- Camilla of Culinary Adventures with Camilla will be posting about Kobza Rosé with a Summery Grilled Haloumi Salad.
- Wendy of A Day in the Life on the Farm shares her story, I heard an Angel Whispering in my ear.
- Gwendolyn of WinePredator proclaims Hooray for Central Coast Rose for #WinePW.
- David of Cooking Chat is pairing Mediterranean Grilled Chicken with a Bandol Rosé.
- Ellen of Family Around the Table will make us all drool with her Brown Sugar Pecan Maple Baked Brie.
- Lori of Dracaena Wines will be pairing Rosé and Thai Grilled Pizza.
- Cindy of Grape Experiences knows the KISS rule and will Pair Rosé with…(Keep it Simple)
- Nancy from Pull That Cork will be Grazing, Rosé in Hand.
- Jane of Always Ravenous will be discussing A Season of Rosé Paired with Mediterranean Flavors.
Join us for a live Twitter chat about rosé pairings on Saturday, August 12, at 11 am ET / 8 am PT. Check out past and upcoming #winePW events here.