If this dip weren’t so good, my family would be pretty tired of it now. Seems like any time I need to bring an appetizer for an extended family gathering, I’m making this Super Easy Spicy Green Onion Dip.
This dip is so fast and easy to make, I can whip it up in 10 minutes, making it perfect for busy times. I often will quickly make this old standby, then bring something different along with it, such as this Bacon and Greens Dip. The majority of my extended family and friends like some spice, so they are always quick to dive into this dip when I set it out.
I got the basic idea for this from a cookbook I have since misplaced. I’ve tweaked the recipe over time, and landed on this combination which seems to be just the right amount of spice for our tastes. You can experiment for yourself to see how much kick you want. The cayenne is the key variable that you can turn up or down slightly to change the heat.
Give this Spicy Green Onion Dip a try soon (Super Bowl nibbling, perhaps?), and I suspect it will soon be a regular part of your recipe rotation, too!
- 16 ozs sour cream
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ¼ cup green onions (also known as scallion), finely chopped
- tbsp cilantro, chopped
- ½ tsp cumin
- ⅓ tsp cayenne pepper
- salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients from sour cream through cumin in a mixing bowl.
- Stir in the cayenne, making sure that it is thoroughly combined and spread throughout the dip. If you want to moderate the spice level, you could start by adding ¼ teaspoon of cayenne and tasting the spice levels, then add a bit more if you want to kick up the spice.
- Serve the dip with potato chips for dipping, and make sure people have a drink ready when they start eating it!