This vegan recipe started out as a classic potato leek soup. It was good in term of flavor and consistency the first time out, but I thought it could use a little some else. That something turned out to be roasted broccoli, and so today we are serving up a nice, hot bowl of Potato Leek Soup with Roasted Broccoli.
So whether you are a full-time vegetarian or an omnivore like me trying to serve more plant strong meals, put this one on your recipes to make list! Tasty and easy, plus the roasted broccoli gives this a nice touch.
Speaking of eating more plant focused meals, I’m bringing this soup to you on a Monday tying in with the #MeatlessMonday meme. The idea is for folks who are serving some meat most nights to designate Monday as a day to have at least one meatless meal in the week. I don’t always join in on Mondays, but most weeks here typically feature a couple of vegetarian meals. The majority of my soups are vegan, relying on pureeing veggies to get the thick consistency I like for a main course soup.
I mentioned back in this Carrot Ginger Soup post how handy it is to have an immersion blender for making soups like this. Can be done with a food processor, too, but if you are going to do much soup making the immersion blender is key.
Have you made some good soups this winter? Drop a comment to share about it! Enjoy this soup or whatever you have cooking in your soup pot to stay warm these winter days.Print
Potato Leek Soup with Roasted Broccoli
Classic Potato Leek Soup gets a flavorful visual boost with the addition of roasted broccoli in this vegan recipe.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 55 mins
- Yield: 4 servings
- Category: Soup
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 2 medium leeks, sliced (white and light green portions)
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups potatoes, peeed and chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- salt and pepper to taste
- bay leaf
- tsp fresh sage
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3 to 4 cups broccoli, chopped into small, bite sized pieces
- Preheat oven to 425. Toss the broccoli with 1 tablespoon olive oil, garlic powder and a bit of salt to taste. Spread the broccoli out in a single layer in a medium roasting pan. Place in the oven to roast for about 20 minutes until the broccoli turns tender and begins to brown. Remove roasted broccoli from oven and set aside while you finish cooking the soup.
- As the broccoli roasts, heat the remaining two tablespoons olive oil in a large pan. Add the chopped leeks, and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, followed by the potatoes. Stir to combine with the leeks, and add a bit of salt to taste.
- Stir in the vegetable broth and water. Add the sage and bay leaf. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce to simmer on medium heat
- Cook the soup, uncovered, until the vegetables are tender, at least 20 minutes. If you can let them cook for 30 minutes or so that’s ideal to get the flavors combining and the veggies will be very soft.
- When the veggies are soft, puree the soup with an immersion blender or by transferring the soup to a food processor.
- Grind in some fresh black pepper to taste, then stir in the roasted broccoli. You can reserve some of the broccoli to place on top of each bowl of soup for presentation, if you like. Serve hot and enjoy!