You can never have enough quick, healthy meals that come together easily on a weeknight, right? Today you can add Skillet Chicken with Baby Kale to your list!
I’ve been grabbing containers of baby kale leaves fairly often lately. It makes a great salad, tossed with maple vinaigrette, as in this recipe I shared recently. Baby kale is handy to have ready to add some color and nutrition to a quick cooking meal like this skillet chicken recipe.
I was initially thinking of cooking these ingredients stir-fry style, but opted for a skillet cooking method. With stir-frying, you really need to get all the ingredients chopped up first. In this skillet preparation, things cook a bit slower, so you can get the onion cooking then prep the other items. That approach suited me for a quick easy meal.
This skillet chicken with baby kale comes together in 30 minutes. The simple sauce adds a nice touch of salty sweetness to the dish, enhancing the natural sweetness of the onion. I served this with a quinoa blend to round out a super healthy meal. It would work nicely with couscous, too.
Wine pairing: I paired the chicken and baby kale dish with the 2012 Durnberg Falko, an Austrian white wine blend that included a new-to-me varietal, Welschriesling. I got honeysuckle on the nose, taste of honey and kiwi with a touch of minerality. The wine picked up the flavors the flavors in the sauce very nicely, making for a great pairing. If you can’t find this wine, I’d try a Gewürztraminer or Grüner Veltliner.
Skillet Chicken with Baby Kale
Skillet Chicken with Baby Kale cooks quickly in a tasty sauce with onions and peppers for an easy and healthy meal.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Healthy
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon canola
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 chicken breast fillets, sliced crosswise about ¾ inch thick
- 3 cups baby kale
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, canola and rice vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onion, cook for 5 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Push the onions and peppers to the side of the skillet and add the chicken slices. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn the chicken over. Cook for another minute or two.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the chicken, then stir to combine the chicken with the onions and peppers.
- Stir in the baby kale, then cover the skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Check the chicken for doneness. When the chicken is cooked through, it’s ready to eat. Serve with quinoa or couscous for an easy and tasty meal!