Skillet Chicken with Baby Kale recipe cooks quickly along with red bell peppers and onions for an easy, healthy meal.
You can never have enough quick, healthy meals that come together easily on a weeknight, right? Today you can add Skillet Chicken with Baby Kale to your list!
I’ve been grabbing containers of baby kale leaves fairly often lately. It makes a great salad, tossed with maple vinaigrette, as in this recipe I shared recently. Baby kale is handy to have ready to add some color and nutrition to a quick cooking meal like this skillet chicken recipe.
I was initially thinking of cooking these ingredients stir-fry style, but opted for a skillet cooking method. With stir-frying, you really need to get all the ingredients chopped up first. In this skillet preparation, things cook a bit slower, so you can get the onion cooking then prep the other items. That approach suited me for a quick easy meal.
This skillet chicken with baby kale comes together in 30 minutes. The simple sauce adds a nice touch of salty sweetness to the dish, enhancing the natural sweetness of the onion. I served this with a quinoa blend to round out a super healthy meal. It would work nicely with couscous, too.
Wine pairing: I paired the chicken and baby kale dish with the 2012 Durnberg Falko, an Austrian white wine blend that included a new-to-me varietal, Welschriesling. I got honeysuckle on the nose, taste of honey and kiwi with a touch of minerality. The wine picked up the flavors the flavors in the sauce very nicely, making for a great pairing. If you can’t find this wine, I’d try a Gewürztraminer or Grüner Veltliner.
Skillet Chicken with Baby Kale
Skillet Chicken with Baby Kale cooks quickly in a tasty sauce with onions and peppers for an easy and healthy meal.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 30 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Healthy
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp canola
- 1 tsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 sweet onion, chopped
- ½ red bell pepper, sliced
- 2 chicken breast fillets, sliced crosswise about ¾ inch thick
- 3 cups baby kale
- In a small bowl, combine the soy sauce, honey, canola and rice vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the onion, cook for 5 minutes until it begins to soften. Add the bell pepper and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Push the onions and peppers to the side of the skillet and add the chicken slices. Cook for 5 minutes, then turn the chicken over. Cook for another minute or two.
- Pour the soy sauce mixture over the chicken, then stir to combine the chicken with the onions and peppers.
- Stir in the baby kale, then cover the skillet and cook 4 to 5 minutes. Check the chicken for doneness. When the chicken is cooked through, it’s ready to eat. Serve with quinoa or couscous for an easy and tasty meal!
My favorite food is ham.I make hamburgers with all kind of thing’s in them I put all kind of spices in them plus I put stuffing in them also cranberries fry them and wrap in stretch tite plastic wrap and freeze them