Have you tried seitan yet? It’s a wheat-based protein source, with a substantial texture to it that makes it a good substitute for beef if you are trying to make a plant based supper. If you like beef fajitas, or are a vegetarian looking for a new dish, you ought to try this Sizzling Seitan Fajitas recipe!
Jodi was a vegetarian for the first several years we were together, as I was just learning to cook. Thus, I got in the habit of trying new things like seitan. Many of the meat substitute products I could do without, but I came to like the substantial aspect of seitan. You can get it with various flavors, but I found I like whipping together my own sauce, such as the one in this recipe.
This recipe is so easy. Put together the sauce, chop an onion and some peppers, and you are on your way. The Sizzling Seitan Fajitas are on your table in well under 30 minutes! Thus it easily qualifies for the #WeekdaySupper lineup. We served this with a side of refried beans. You could add toppings like sour cream, guacamole or cheese; but we actually enjoyed it without any of those extras…and that keeps it a vegan meal.
Pairing: If you’ve visited my blog before, you know I like to find good wine pairings for my recipes. But for this one, I opened up a nice hoppy beer instead, and that worked well. Next time I make it, I’ll try a wine with it. I’m thinking Malbec or Garnacha would work well here.Print
Sizzling Seitan Fajitas
Seitan sizzles with onions, peppers and a tasty sauce for an easy meatless meal with plenty of protein.
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Main
- Cuisine: Vegan
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon water
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- ½ green bell pepper
- ½ red bell pepper (or other color)
- 8 ozs seitan, sliced
- 4 tortillas
- Make the sauce: combine the ketchup, soy sauce, water, honey, cumin and cayenne pepper in a bowl, and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet on medium high. Add the onions, cook for a few minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir the peppers into the skillet, cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. The peppers and onions should be starting to brown.
- Add the seitan slices, then stir in the sauce. Cook for about 3 more minutes, so the sauce gets combined with the seitan and veggies, and the flavors meld.
- Place a tortilla on a plate, and scoop in a portion of the seitan mixture. You can add toppings like sour cream, guacamole or cheese if you like; but it’s pretty tasty on it’s own. Enjoy!
Be sure to check out the full lineup of tasty #WeekdaySupper ideas!
Monday – Sizzling Seitan Fajitas by Cooking Chat
Tuesday – Souper BLT by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
Wednesday – Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps by Feed Me, Seymour
Thursday – Garlic Shrimp, Spinach and Bacon Wrap by Daily Dish Recipes
Friday – Creamy Chicken in Potato Cheesy Baskets by The Petit Gourmet